Really old pictures of my town.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My uncle took pictures from the time he was 10 until he was 84. These were in the house when we moved in and I just scanned them. Its a shame to see what the town was like and what it is now. Most of the cool old buildings are either torn down or unrepairable. At one time, there were 3 or 4 movie theaters on main street alone which is crazy for such a small town.

1936 Flood

floodcombo4.jpg

FLood6.jpg

FLood5.jpg

FLood4.jpg

Main1930s.jpg

FLood3.jpg

FLood2.jpg

Flood1.jpg

Sonman mine explosion

sonman3.jpg

sonman2.jpg

sonman1.jpg

Random

washington2.jpg

stagerclasssic.jpg

Main1955-2.jpg

Main1955.jpg

Main1941.jpg

main-1.jpg

middlemain.jpg

main1942.jpg

lowermain.jpg

gilespmain.jpg

driven.jpg

goofy.jpg

train1.jpg

aero1.jpg

aero2.jpg

Sorry for all of the pics. I just find old photographs amazing and these show alot of history for my town. The historical society contacted me after I posted them on Facebook because most of them have never been seen and they are going to use them on postcards and other items for the museum.

Baron von Zach said:
jaysix said:
Portage, Pennsylvania

If it hasn't changed too much, it must be a rather nice place to live.

Wish it didnt change too much but it has..Mostly all of the old buildings are torn down and the ones that are occupied arent worth looking at.

Here is an example..two entire blocks were torn down to put in an ugly 1970s looking Dollar General building and a Rite-Aid Pharmacy

gone.jpg

Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing.
Gotta love Corvettes and VWs on the same train!

Cheers,
Dr. T
Those are Greenbrier vans and pickups. Chevy all the way. They were built on the Corvair frame with rear engines just like the VW's had, only 6 cylinders on the motor. They were killed off with the Corvairs, when the book "Unsafe at any speed" came out, so they are rare, especially the pickup version.

Your Uncle has a great eye and a steady hand.
That is a really great collection of your local history. Thank you for posting the photographs.

Latest posts

Back