Rattle Can paint

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are correct about the spray can paints staying a little soft. Automotive paints have a hardening agent that you add making the paint hard and at the same time more brittle and it does chip easy. My nephew painted the bed floor of his roll back with automotive paint and hardener. It chipped everytime a chain even touched. On his next truck he bought we bought a gallon of rust-oleum, thinned it some and sprayed the bed floor without adding hardener and it held up extremely well.

Believe it or not, Rustoleum has fish oil in it to keep it not only soft but rust resistant.

The Speedway bike above is painted with Krylon but it's a special type of Krylon. It's called OSHA safety paint and comes in only 3 or 4 colors that are OSHA approved for special applications. I used "plum safety purple". Each color represents something, but I'm not sure what. Like maybe steam pipes, or a hook on the end of a crane. It has really good color saturation and also what's nice about it is you can paint with it down to 50°F. B607

I think that another important aspect is the spray pattern.The more even the pattern the less chance you have of getting too much in places and not enough right next to it. Clear coat will help the chipping but only if there are several coats.I spray many light coats.Spray the frame go spray the fork,spray the frame etc. etc. I have mentioned this in another post about paints, Ace Hardware brand paints are great. They are fairly cheap and have alot of pressure and the pattern is light, smooth and even.

Back