BO15 RaTs GaSs...Great year all!...pg 26

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you call them trumpet things on gassers & racing cars... you know... :39:
06042014239 (9).jpg

How do you call them trumpet things on gassers & racing cars... you know... :39:
View attachment 119168
Depending where in the world you are, and what part of motorsport you're in, they're either "intake trumpets" or, more classically, "velocity stacks".

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Depending where in the world you are, and what part of motorsport you're in, they're either "intake trumpets" or, more classically, "velocity stacks".

Poland EU. And here we call them mostly "Trąbki". That's a polish word for Trumpet :21:

I like how we are always learning from each other in these build offs. This is quality stuff right here ^. Quality stuff.

This contest is fun! The beauty of it is, you guys have given me all kinds of ideas about what this Park Tool stainless steel cup COULD be used for on RaTs GaSs ! :inlove:

A little background on my Park Tool connection. Around 30 years or so I used to live in another part of the city I currently live in where we had a local bike shop just down the road called Park Schwinn. I was sponsoring mountain bike races in those days, and I met the owners when I was looking for sponsorship for the races. They agreed to help me, and that's when I first met Art Engstrom and Howie Hawkins, the owners of the Park Schwinn shops. They had also started making their own tools in 1963 when " They noticed that there were no tools available to repair the increasingly complex bicycles of the 1960s, so they began creating their own tools. " ~ Wikipedia ( here's a link to more of the history - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Tool )

In the '70s with Schwinn in full throttle mode and 'geared' bikes becoming ever popular, they were experiencing a shortage and back orders, much like we are already starting to experience today at our shop with the influx of buyers responding to the COVID-19 coping mechanism of people flooding our 'essential business' to find ways to get outside and relive stress / exercise. Here's a photo of Art Engstrom, one of the owners in 1971. The sign says it all:
park schwinn 1971 art engstrom.jpg

Flash forward about 20 years later, and I find myself working full-time at one of their former locations in nearby Mendota Heights, MN. I find out a little more about the history of that store, which included specific designs for bicycle retail as it was constructed for that purpose (like a cement ramp alongside the stairs from the main level to the basement for sliding incoming bike boxes down for back stock, a bathroom with a shower for bicycle commuting staff, built in hanging racks on the main floor for repair bikes, etc.

One day during this time, I was home on my day off. On my trip to the mailbox, I found this which had been mistakenly put there because my house # was the same as the intended recipient who lived just a block over. (shown as an example, not actual issue )
May 1 cover Bicycle Retailer.jpg

It was the Bicycle Retailer bi-monthly magazine that was only available to owners of the shops or mailed directly to the shop itself. The name on the mailing address stamp was: Art Engstrom. I thought to myself, "hey, I remember Art." And as I sorted out the memory in my mind, I realized that Art was now a neighbor of mine ( I'd lived here about 4 years at the time) and was just a block over behind my across the street neighbor's house!

I hiked on over with the mag in hand, and when Art answered the door, we got reacquainted and promised we would stay in touch. At that time, Art was in his mid - 70's and rode his bike every day on a morning road ride. He stopped by a couple of times over the years just to see what I was up to. A couple of years ago, after I had built the BACK40 bike shed, he and his son, a huge bike collector and 'bike guy', came over to check it out.

Art and Son back40.jpg

Last year Art called me and said, "Lee, have you been to the new Park Tool factory yet?" I told him I had not, and so he set up a time for us to go a couple days later. Art picked me up, and we had a great time touring the factory and the Schwinn bike collection of Eric Hawkins, now owner and son for Art's former partner / co-owner of Park Tool, Howie.

Eric gave us the tour himself, and I took this photo of him and Art in their 'tool room' where they test all the new tools in development.
96263519_1590310177783046_2173913699918544896_n.jpg

Anyway, that's a little Park Tool history and my connection with one of it's forefathers. It's a Minnesota brand that is known world wide as the premier bicycle tool manufacturer. And run by some really down-to-earth born in the USA guys. Good stuff.

Oh man... that thing is sweet! :cool2:

And that story... It's just so cool, I'm still trying to grab my jaw from the floor before any of my cats will want to play with it...:13:

Great stance with the triple trees. You have enough room to build an entire engine under that fender!!!!

Not ready for this stage yet, but just playing with 'Paint' on R.G. this morning. These colors are too bold, mine will be transparent using the Metalcast, so more subdued and hopefully 'cooler'. :bigsmile:

Just thinking about whether I want to paint the acut-RaT-ments on the bike; like the handlebars, crank set, seat post, etc or leave them chrome. I tried to do the spray simulation to leave a little chrome showing.

Remember, the contrast won't be this stark between colors and / or the chrome in real life. Your thoughts?

RaTs GaSs CoLoRizED !
RaTs GaSs CoLoRizED.jpg

Back