Rat Rod's poor Jawa

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dug Rat Rod's old Jawa out of the storage barn behind my house today. The discussions on mopeds on the forum caught his eye and he asked if I still had this one of his.

He got it when we lived in Michigan (see the moped sticker on the back) and rode it for a while before it began having "issues". I guess that was back in 1986. I see the moped sticker was good until 1987.

First, the kickstand broke off. These have no starter and no pull rope to crank the engine on them, so the normal routine was to stand it up on the kickstand to get the rear wheel up in the air and then peddle like crazy to get the engine started and once it was running, push it off of the kickstand and go.

So no more kickstand meant getting some of his buddies to get behind and push you down the street or sidewalk until the engine finally turned over and started.

No problem. Still workable and it just meant giving your buddies a ride on the back since they helped you get it going.

The killer, though, was when it lost the spark. I think one of the coils on the side of the motor gave out, but by then Rat Rod was almost old enough to drive, so it sat and we never fixed it after that.

As with most old things, time has done a number on it - especially since it's been stored in a humid storage shed for over 20 years now. The back wheel won't roll, but I don't know if it's the rusty chain on it, or more than likely the motor has frozen up over the years. I guess it's good for some nostalgia, though.

Or hey, I've heard that some people even take the front ends off and build RRBBO bikes out of them!! :lol: :lol:

Here's the Jawa in all of it's current glory ......

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

By the way, the picture of the front end looks a little foggy - but the problem is bringing a camera from a cool house out into the yard where the temperature is in the 90's and the humidity is currently 95% plus. Almost instant fog up on the lens. Ah, summer time in hot, humid, Houston. :D

Hahaha cool, Rrdad, where'd u guys live at in michigan?

We lived up in Midland - which as you probably know, is near Sagniaw and Bay City.

I guess that's considered "north" to you, huh. :lol:

Wow....blast from the past alrighty. :shock:

I'm thinking you may need to sell it for parts on the CL...ha ha!

Rickster....we lived in Midland. :wink:

You know, those things have a chain on both sides.

One's hooked to the pedals and the other one is hooked to the motor sprocket.

So I guess one alternative to building a heavy duty bike would be to pull off the motor and that chain, and just ride the sucker like a bike!!

Hummm. a bike with a nice set of drum brakes front and rear. :roll:

Cool Ped! I mean they are sooo ugly that their cool. What are the plans? Stocker or chop it up?
I have mine almost done, can't wait to post pics to see what everyone thinks.
100_1181.jpg

I have a brother who likes to tinker with stuff, so I may take it to him sometime and see what he could come up with. Maybe an engine swap of some kind, since I think the one that's on it is probably history.

I'm sure he could pull it apart to see how things when together and then maybe come up with some way to do a motor swap - assuming you could find a similar motor with a crank out that same side that would drive the sprocket.

Or as RR said, it may end up on CL for someone else to use for parts on one they are redoing. :lol:

RatRodDad said:
We lived up in Midland - which as you probably know, is near Sagniaw and Bay City.

I guess that's considered "north" to you, huh. :lol:

Isnt there a big carshow swapmeat there every year?? I think thats where my uncle goes.. i dont remember. Ratroddad, You said when steve and his sister were growing up you guys had some hotrods, Do you got any pictures?

Markm, I think RR was maybe 15 at the time - so all that mattered was that it ran on it's on and didn't require pedaling!

If he had it today, though, you are right - it would have whitewalls.

Rickster, they did have a big car show in Midland each year at the fairgrounds.

We had lots of different cars during those years - a 23 T-bucket, a 69 Camaro, a 74 Vette, a 40 Chevy Coupe, a 65 Malibu SS, an 84 Monte Carlo SS, and a 78 Triumph Spitfire - along with a couple of daily drivers. I did post pics of my 40 Chevy Coupe and my 47 Dodge pickup somewhere .... not sure which post, though. I sold both of those over the last couple of years, so now I'm officially out of the hot rod business.

Now for a good laugh. One year I bought a 4 door '78 Buick Century for a winter beater. It has some rust spots here and there - as a beater should, and I threw on a set of houndstooth looking seat covers on the seats to cover the ripped places and put a set of cheap plastic hub caps on it. We went to the car show that year and I took that and our 69 Camaro - and entered them both in the show.

I put together some signs about my Century - and why it was such a rare beater - houndstooth interior, custom wheels, powerful V6 engine, custom body work (thanks to the salt on the road) etc. So kind of mocking all of the things people would say about the "special" cars they brought to the show.

Then we sat back and watched all of the people checking it out - probably wondering what idiot thought that car was worth putting in a car show. The looks and comments it got were worth the money I paid to enter it in the show!! (I think it cost me $15 or something to enter).

Yes, I do have a sense of humor!!

BTW - here's a shot of my last two street rods before I exited the hot rod scene ..

47DodgePickup.jpg

40ChevyCoupe.jpg

I like that truck, My uncle randy has a 40 chevy coupe idk what ur orange one is but its sharp.

Back