RAT ROD BIKES BUILD OFF 2 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like 17 actually got voted on...I think officially it was 18 though because the fixie got left out accidentally.

:shock: Wow this is going to be a great build off , what a great bunch of builders and vintage steel so far !
I am really excited to see all of your talents at work and I probably wont say much till the end but your comments are welcome .
Good luck to all and remember its all about your creativity and having fun .

the weekend is upon us!!!!!!!!!!

im hoping to have some more pics to post come monday or tuesday, i have a "kid free" weekend this weekend and im gonna be dug in like lil bicycle hermit !!!! ive been bustin mi back side over the weekdays to get the yardwork/laundry/housecleaning etc...done so i can put some hours into my bike!!!! i cant beleive how many bikes there are entered already, its been less than a week! how many were intered in the fist one?
fast eddie outty

Old school body shop...

Rat Rod said:
bondo is cool....can't believe I said that. :lol:

Should be old school...LEAD, body solder! :lol:

Breaking the rules..

Fast Eddie, youre a great competitor for asking if you can use bondo.

But what's the deal with all the other people flat out breaking rules? We've got people welding two frames to create a reverse trike (without even a before pic, I might add), a bike that was already put together then dismantled and painted by a thief before being recovered and reassembled by the owner??, starting with one bike and then switching to another, and worst of all, bikes with the seat smack on the frame and forward leaning bars that only a gorilla with a 20" inseam and 30" reach could ride. I think that at this point we should clarify the rules, while there is still time.

1. You can only enter one bike in the build off.
Can you switch the bike during the build as long as it's only one entry in the end? Work with me people, give me feedback on this one.
Can you use mutiple frames to create one bike? That is nearly impossible without breaking rule #3.

2. Start a new post and use the bike name as the Subject.

3. Must use factory frame....no altering of original frame structure.
This mentions frame structure and prohibition of altering the original factory frame structure. It does NOT limit you on adding stuff to the frame. Is adding a top tube legal(is it a "part" that can be added by welding?) adding tubing would not IMO alter the factory frame structure.

4. Bike must not already be built.
Is this a build-off or a customizing contest?
If you have a bike built and customize it, is it legal?

5. Must include BEFORE, PROGRESS, and AFTER photos (all in one thread please)

6. Bike must be rideable.
At least by the builder right? After all, these bikes are custom for a reason. But if you cant reach the handle bars or your knees reach your elbows or nipples, there is something seriously wrong. The crank must also have adequate clearance so that it doesnt scrape the asphalt when you lean in a turn.

7. Use any parts you like....mo rat = mo bettah!
This is a good one, mixing parts is highly encouraged. Old frames, modern forks, componets etc. Think deuce coupe with fuel injection & A/C.

8. Parts can be attached any way you wish (includes welding).
This doesnt prohibit from welding to the frame but cutting and rewelding or CHANGING the frame would violate rule #3. In a dual suspension bike, the swingarm is part of the frame. Bolting, welding, soldering, riveting, glueing, epoxy, BONDO, Fibreglass, are all fair game.

9. Paint must be applied by builder...rattle can style.
These are rat rods and so I think it would be ok to accept BRUSHED ON paint as well. The old school guys will know I'm right on this one. But anything driven through a compressor would be unacceptable. *Underage participants can use help from and elder, Father-Son projects are encouraged. This is a family friendly site.

10. KEEP IT CHEAP...remember...IT'S A RAT ROD!!!!

That's my bit. Lets hear what everyone else thinks, and everyone reading this, please look at who replies, and if they're building a bike and if they have something to say, it may be beacause they're breaking the rule they complain about. I'd like to enter and win but I'd hate to lose knowing I could have disregarded some rules to do it.

Uhhh...the reverse trike IS the before photo. He found it that way. And that's a factory frame. But I don't think he's still in the competition anyway.
And this whole thing is supposed to be FUN, right?

And I still don't have a bike to build for it. :? :(

Well I'm still waiting on an "OFFICIAL" ruling on whether I can do a girls/boys frame conversion for this contest. Of course the top tubes will be welded in and the original top parallel tube removed. I'm not complaining, notice I haven't even entered my own thread in the build off yet. Like I said in an earlier post in this thread, I'm building this bike regardless of whether it's "allowed" in the contest or not. I'd just really like a ruling by Steve or whoever else might be in charge of the contest rules. Thank you!

I'm not breaking any rules or complaining about anything...but lets remember to keep this fun and learn from everyone's builds, that's what we are here for. Who "wins" isn't important. All bikes entered in this are winners.

I'll start off by quoting a line from the rules post...

We're keepin' this thing pretty loose so don't get yourself in a knot.

This is a build off, meant for fun, no huge prizes at stake, and hopefully the builders will enjoy themselves and end up with a nice bike that they can ride and show off. If you find the experience too frustrating or not to your liking you'll be better off watching from the sidelines or trying your hand in a Chopper build off.

This is only the second build off on this forum so the entire system is still evolving. It was literally put together in about an hour back in January when we decided to hold the first one for grins. We cobbled together some quick rules to try to keep the playing field somewhat even. That being said, the rules are not perfect and probably don't cover ever possible scenario.

The rules shouldn't be overly complicated...just build a cool rat rod and don't get all professional on us. Pretty much what most people are doing on the forum outside of the build off anyway.

In the end, the votes will determine which bike or bikes people liked the best and you will determine whether you have fun or not. :wink:

WOW longoria

you have been here all of 6 post!!!!! and already you are beakin off of the mouth. :roll: :roll: ........maybe when you get up to 200+ posts I would stop and read it! "there's the door man!"

last I checked we are building the bikes for fun! give insperation to others. This place is a place to share ideas amen!

You would think with your comments Chip Foose was going to take the winner to lunch!
or we are all playing for cash...get a life!

I'm here to build bikes, "LEARN" some cool new stuff, and in turn help others with there build. I do not build bikes for self glorification!!!!!

I have enough politics in my life.......I do not need in in my hobby!

I feel better now!

Its a contest for fun...dont worrie about the rules so much and just build whatever you guy's feel is good,!
Keep in mind that theses bikes are gonna be yours..better of doing it the way you want than be restricted by some set of rules..

lets just have fun building!!!! :roll: :!:

I must say, these rebuttals have inspired me. I'm gonna enter my former mountain bike future somethin-or-other in the build-off. I think I will call it "F U ratrodbikes.com". :p

Okay just kiddin about the last part.

Back