Rat Rod aesthetic question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rat Rod aesthetic question. I am new to rat rod bike builds and I have a question as to how far to take a build. I just purchased a bike that is has a nice patina. But do will I take away the aesthetic by mixing it up with newer parts like a new seat, wheels, crank, etc. I do not believe the bike has any collector value to keep stock. However, whenever I show the bike to friends the comment I often hear is just leave it alone, but that takes out the enjoyment of a build. Any thoughts?
IMG_1008.JPG

It's definitely a game of balance....and preference.

Some folks prefer to completely restore a bike so that it looks brand new while others want to keep the original look.

The balance comes into play when you're trying to customize a bike with original finish without having newer parts stick out like a sore thumb...which they do. You really just have to play around with it to see what looks good and what doesn't. It's possible that you could install a new set of wheels/tires, seat and grips and keep the patina on the paint...I guess that could be considered a resto mod.

No set rules in this hobby, just have fun and build what you like and ignore the peanut gallery. :)

new grips, tires, seat, clean up the chrome with some steel wool. Wipe down the painted parts with WD40, and I would call it good but thats just me. Thats a nice little middleweight lots of ways you could go with it, good luck and rat on.
:rockout:

Keep the star sprocket. New tires. If you have a bike coop you might be able to pick up a pair of used tires that don't look new. If the wheels are bent I would replace them and that would allow you to more easily put a bigger cog on the rear. It is hilly here and I ride 22 x 36 on my heavy cruisers, but as I said keep the front. A set of used fenders from eBay might be cool. A rear rack would allow you to haul stuff and there is always lighting to help you rat it up. There a lot of ideas for lights under the Show Me Your --- Forum here.

Last edited:
Bottom line is.....it's yours, you do it how you like it. If it looks good in your eyes that's all that matters. To each his own buddy! And don't be afraid to ask others for opinions, I think we all do that time to time, and you will get honest results, we are all having a little fun here. Enjoy!:113:

Last edited:
I think it has great potential. I'd prefer a tan leather seat over the black. And I think you could rat out the paint some more.

It's your bike. Have fun trying out ideas.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The greatest source for inspiration is to do nothing but look at it.

Creativity is weird that way.

Latest posts

Back