Rat Chop Suey stolen... new RRB build?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of weeks ago, I had rebuilt my RRBBO4 bike's rear wheel to be a singlespeed coaster, and since it no longer had my Sturmey 8-speed hub, I put it in the bike rack in my yard for the kids to ride (what? Your yard doesn't have a bike rack?)

Anyway, some stupid nosepick teenager in the neighborhood decided the Chopper would look better in his yard instead of mine, and it mysteriously disappeared. Since the bike itself isn't really worth anything without the 8-speed hub, I'm not too worried about it.

But that means it's time to build another RRB. Duh! And since I now have a welder, it's on like Donkey Kong!!! I'm taking suggestions for frame choices. Might build a knock-off of a PG-Bikes frame. Hmm...

Next bike will be off the hook!

Sorry to hear about that, but of course it happens all over the place. I've had a few stolen from my yard, and it's sort of my fault- I don't try to hide them or lock up anything that's outside.

The cops always told me, don't make it easy for them! We've tracked down a few thieves and recovered a couple of bikes.

My wife actually chased a kid down the street stealing a mountain bike that had no brakes... the kid ditched it in a driveway and ran off when he realized my wife was gaining on him. (She's a runner!)

Another time I saw one of my green-and-yellow Bike Share bikes headed down the street, just a couple blocks from my house. I followed the kid, and it was sort of funny. The bike was in the yard for repairs because it wouldn't shift- cheap grip-shifter that would only shift up, not down to 1st. It was a full-fendered ladies' Sears urban cruiser type of bike. About a 10yr old kid was on it, too short to be on the seat so he's in front of it, huffing and puffing turning his feet about 1rpm in 6th gear. I pulled up in my VW bus and told him to get off the bike and get lost. "Where'd you get it?" "My cousin gave it to me." "Yeah right kid, wheel it over to the van." And he did and I put it away in the basement...

Funny thing is, you can rent them FOR FREE! You don't have to steal them!
http://www.bareiss.net/bikenewlondon/bikeshare.html

Anyway have fun with the new build, and I'm glad you didn't lose the 8-speed, because that would have really been a bummer.

Sorry to hear about the bike, that's a bummer. At least there wasn't a whole lot of expensive stuff on it. Harbor freight tools has their wire feed mig welders on sale for $89. Might be time to get one. I did and I can't wait for nice weather to start the most insane build I have ever done.

outskirtscustoms said:
Sorry to hear about the bike, that's a bummer. At least there wasn't a whole lot of expensive stuff on it. Harbor freight tools has their wire feed mig welders on sale for $89. Might be time to get one. I did and I can't wait for nice weather to start the most insane build I have ever done.

I've already got a nice MIG welder... had to go through serious red tape to get the CO2 bottle, but I've got it sitting in my shop.

Just about the only things I could really use to build bikes now is a wheel truing stand, and a tubing bender.

I'm seriously thinking about building a multi-speed chopper/limo bike, but doing something nobody's done before... Belt drive.

Turns out, Gates makes a long belt for tandem synch sprockets... it's about 37" stretched out. I'm betting I could build a stretch frame around that and a Shimano or Sturmey IGH. I realize this will instantly make it too nice to be a rat rod, but heck man, think how nice that would be! But you're looking at $$$ just for the wheels if I go that route. Wide rims, tires IGH, belt, and sprockets would cost more than most complete bikes. But think how smooth a bike would ride with 3" Thick Bricks and belt drive!!! Like floating on a cloud.

I need to shut up before somebody beats me to it. I've said too much. :)

yeah that sux ive had this bike stolen twice
DSCN1045.jpg
both times returened cuz people know my bike lol not many in my town ride ol kool bikes so i wouldve found it eventually but good luck with your new build

I wonder how hard it would be to rig up a 100,000 volt tazer under the seat with a pressure switch to "Deter thieves"
:mrgreen: :lol:

Any electronics geeks out there who have made a gps small enough to hide in a downtube??? I'm thinking in that direction, and if it hasn't been invented, especially with the price of bikes these days, it should be!

jalopyjimmy13 said:
even at that price i like it :D
Well think, the bikes that this is designed to protect are $1,000 to as much as $8,000 or more. $141 seems a very small investment to keep it safe. I wouldn't waste my money if it was an $89 Walmart bike. On the downside most thieves will steal your bike and take it to a dark alley and pull the wheels, derailleurs, and any other sell able parts off of it in 5 minutes. Less if you have any quick change bits and you can track your bare frame to the dumpster they threw it in. :roll:

Back