rare 1959 white schwinn corvette

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jake Sensi said:
Thanks for the tip. Never would have tried those. Nice shine you put on there. What do you recommend for whitewalls?

i used simple green for the whitewalls, but when they're really dirty, i use westleys bleach white, which is an automotive cleaner.

That's awesome :D I see a 4th of July parade bike :mrgreen: :idea: :mrgreen:

Is that the same front rack that is in the "before" picture? You're saying oxalic acid can do this? Do you just soak it? or is there some brush scrubbing involved in the springs? Does the acid damage the paint at all? For example on a tank that is partially chrome/paint?

from some suggestions on this forum, I've switched from Oxalic acid to plain old white vinegar to remove rust. amazing results, cheap, get it at any supermarket, safe, and it does not leave that yellow residue. Just my .02.

spook1s said:
Is that the same front rack that is in the "before" picture? You're saying oxalic acid can do this? Do you just soak it? or is there some brush scrubbing involved in the springs? Does the acid damage the paint at all? For example on a tank that is partially chrome/paint?
Yes, same rack. I love the oxalic acid method. I soak the parts, every now and them I'll pull them out and use a light scotchbrite or sponge to wipe them off, a soft bristled brush for the tight areas, then resoak if needed. I've personally used them on painted parts, but I keep a close eye on them. Don't use oxalic on aluminum.

P.S. The Corvette has found a new home with a happy owner.

Back