Raleigh Sport tag sale find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I saw a post for a local tag sale for today. The post included a Raleigh Bicycle for sale. Here in NYC Raleighs are very sought after by the hipsters and demand high prices(too high!) on CL. I got to the sale way early as I was close and needed to beat the dealers.
This bike was filty with layers of grunge. I got it surprisingly cheap as the owner was happy to sell it to somebody who would ride it. There was a camera case strapped to the seat post with an old belt. After getting it home ,inside I found the original assembly instructions,factory warranty, spoke key and a host of cool British made wrenches and locks.
The original Dunlops still hold air. This is my first British bike and man ,I was surprised how great this thing rides. :eek:
100_0756.jpg

Spokeshave said:
This is my first British bike and man ,I was surprised how great this thing rides. :eek:
100_0756.jpg

I thought Raleigh was English?

Ive come across a bunch of English 3-speeds lately and you are right they do ride pretty nicely...and the Hipsters go nuts for them!

Luckly i'm in canada, I get these all the time, they bring in good coin.
This is the more elegant model called Superbe, This ones very unique compaired to other SUperbe though, it's fully loaded and has the front dyno hub but also asecond dyno hum thats a 3 speed dyno I love the England bikes for their colors, I likes me green ones! I've never seen a green sports though.
100_2225.jpg

Man that is sweet..I just bought a twin to this bike here in Modesto a couple weeks ago from an 82 year old gentleman who had bought it used in 1961..they truely are sweet riding bicycles.. got it off cl and after about 7 emails he "chose" me to sell it to because he wanted someone to enjoy it for another 50 years..which would make me 96 ???? Read the hub and found out it was a 1959 Sport..embarrassed to say what i paid..he just about gave it to me...

Spokeshave said:
I saw a post for a local tag sale for today. The post included a Raleigh Bicycle for sale. Here in NYC Raleighs are very sought after by the hipsters and demand high prices(too high!) on CL. I got to the sale way early as I was close and needed to beat the dealers.
This bike was filty with layers of grunge. I got it surprisingly cheap as the owner was happy to sell it to somebody who would ride it. There was a camera case strapped to the seat post with an old belt. After getting it home ,inside I found the original assembly instructions,factory warranty, spoke key and a host of cool British made wrenches and locks.
The original Dunlops still hold air. This is my first British bike and man ,I was surprised how great this thing rides. :eek:
100_0756.jpg

I paid 40 bucks for mine. The most I've ever spent on a bike. but around here 150.00 and up is the going rate so I think I did okay.

Spokeshave said:
I was surprised how great this thing rides.

that's the way they are. for going to work on, day in day out for decades without complaint and very little mantainance. a drop of lawnmower oil in the hub every fortnight is all it needs.

and $40, that's an incredible price for one in that condition, even here35 miles from where they (were :cry: ) made

Then i don't feel as bad, I paid $35 for mine..mine didn't have the Brooks saddle though..or that cool rack on the back..so you got a heck of a deal !

Spokeshave said:
I paid 40 bucks for mine. The most I've ever spent on a bike. but around here 150.00 and up is the going rate so I think I did okay.

Nice find love the colors. I recently missed a nice for on the local craigslist for $30 someone snatched it up quick. Another one sold for $120 here pretty quick.

Latest posts

Back