R-U Experinced?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this up on the CL today for 25 american dollars. Check outthe tiny handgrips. I've read these royce unions were small to fit the Japanese populace. Or maybe it's a boy's bike. I haven't even tried to clean it yet. thats's how I rolled it outta the truck. He also had a 60's women's columbia that my wife likes (figures I bought it for parts) that I paid 20 for. 100 mile round trip though. tack on another 15. I'm still happy.
P12010004.jpg

P12010005.jpg

ru2.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

7.jpg

nice find, and hope your wife likes her soon to be bicycle too

made in japan, shouldn't those tires be metric ??

My first bmx bike (waaaaayyyy back in 1980)was a royce union. That thing could take a beating and still come back for more.

I like that one you have alot, its cool.

Re: rice rat

Well I had a little free time and decided to start refurbishing this royce union. I've also decided to rename it 'R-U Experienced?' I know big deal huh... Well any way sorry to take so long with a response about the japanese fractional thing but heres another picture.
ru16.jpg

I don't have an answer but theres a picture. Wierd bike. Here's a before of the hub.
ru1.jpg

Its also got a cluch type brake hub.
ru5.jpg

ru9.jpg

This is the first one I've ever seen. Are these common? the copper washers dog teeh engage the wheel while their round hole allows rotation around the shaft. The steel washers flat sided holes engage the flat sided shaft but rotate within the wheel. when you step on the brake they compress together to activate braking.
Here's an after.
ru15.jpg

Guess whats in this box?
I guess I should started posting any further pics in the gallery section seein' how she ain't really 'fresh' no more. look for her there. Yeah I know, big deal.
ru10.jpg

I took it for a lap around the dinner table while my wife just shook her head.

I test fit the bars on the night I got them, but they look SO cool that I decided to make everyone wait for the after photos.(diabolical laughter here) Why am I wasting time at this computer? I'm off to the garage!! :!: :!: :arrow: :arrow: :lol:

That disc brake setup inside the hub is the same as on New Departure hubs, is there a brand on it? Even the sprocket appears to screw on the same way. Back in the day , the Japanese had a rep for just copying stuff.

Back