Quick Newbie Crank Length Q

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to put a 3 piece crank on my cruiser.

What length should I be looking at?

I've come across a deal on a 160mm crank. Would it be too short?

Thanks

Yeah I understand that I'll need an adapter for the bottom bracket.

I kinda figured that 160 is going to be short. it works out to less than 6 1/2 inches.

I understand your question, But I have to ask how tall are you?
The length of the paddle arm is determined by the length of your leggs and the size of the the frame you are using. The longer the peddle arm the less you will have to rise your seat.
I would say on a cruiser you would want the longest arm you can get as long as it dosen't hit the ground.

On my road bikes I ride 175 if I can, but sometimes I use 170 because I found a good crank cheap.

My 2cents

if you're an average size adult male 160's would just be misery to pedal.

175's are a good all-round adult cruiser/rat length unless you're spinning a fixie.

a good deal on 180's might be worthwhile- they give more leverage on a slow rpm application. it does feel funny when you switch back to a 'normal' bike though...

it might sound like splitting hairs, but 5mm really does affect the way a crank feels, and 10mm is a huge difference.

the oem crank length on old schwinns, etc, drives me nuts to pedal anymore... :wink:

DaBigKahuna said:
I'm about 6 ft so I'm thinking 170-180 would be best.

You betcha!

:D

Back