Questions about 24" x 4.0" and 24" x 2.5"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I'm new to this hobby and have few questions about tiers. My new project is chopped roadster and I want to install fat tires.
I choose rims from choppersus.com rear is 24x4 and front 24x2.5
Please advise me which tires will fit this rims.
Thanks, Roman.

any 24x3 tire will work...
one thing to be aware of is that those rims are double walled so its not an easy task to get tires on and off(since you loose about 3/8"-1/4" for the bead to drop) but its not impossible....just a wrestling match

So, now I decide to replace rear hub to Shimano Nexus 3 speed and want to upgrade spokes to 12 Ga.
Question, since I'm never did it before, better to go to local bicycle shop? How much it may cost?
Thank you guys!

The big tire and rim will fit into that Firebikes frame, but you better think about chain clearance. If you use one of those ChoppersUS wide hubs you'll be fine. Dishing the rear wheel to get more chain clearance will also help depending on yer rear hub choice. You can also get offset front sprockets that will help with tha chain clearance.
If your buying a Firebikes frame ask the owner Sam McKay what he would recommend for wheels/tires n hubs.

The 3 speed is a good choice for the Firebike frame. Sam builds a heck of a frame but be warned, them suckers are a little heavier then most other custom frames. I've ridden single speed Firebikes and they'll kill you on a long ride. The 3 will roll the bike very nicely. Also the bigger the tire the more road friction.

Dorian said:
The big tire and rim will fit into that Firebikes frame, but you better think about chain clearance. If you use one of those ChoppersUS wide hubs you'll be fine. Dishing the rear wheel to get more chain clearance will also help depending on yer rear hub choice. You can also get offset front sprockets that will help with tha chain clearance.
If your buying a Firebikes frame ask the owner Sam McKay what he would recommend for wheels/tires n hubs.
Yes, I'll use ChoppersUS 24x4 rear wheel and want to replace stock coaster brake hub to Shimano 3 speed.
Thanks for your help!

Something to keep in mind when running that wide a rear rim. You may run into chain clearance issues.
I've seen several solutions used:
1. Wider hubs from suppliers like Choppersus
2. Use a rear hub from an OCC Chopper
3. Dish the rear wheel (offset the hub via spoke lacing)
4. Use an offset rear sprocket (Choppersus has a 22 tooth in stock, big sale right now, 40% off code: YEAREND)
5. Combination of the above

I'm running a 'little' 24 x 3 tire on a 24 x 1.75 rim and my chain misses the sidewall by a hair, a thin hair.

Just my .02!

Just got email from FB and I need 165mm hub. (3speed)
Any one can recommend this hub for my 24x4 rear wheel for FB Fluid frame?
Thanks!

..and this is how it looks now:
Frame powder coated.
Frame3.jpg

Rear wheel mockup.
Frame1.jpg

How much clearance do you have on the non drive side? Are you able to swap the jam nuts to clear the frame? I had a similar issue on my frame (yet to be completed) running these rims front and rear.

Back