Question for the Columbia experts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
columbiaad.jpg

I'm just curious, I know this is kinda stupid but what are these "rubber mountings that give you a floating ride"? What the h are they talking about, tires, pontoons? I would be cool to have a floating bike. All i can think is they're talking about rubber washers. What do these floating rubber mounts look like?

Hmm, good question!! You may have to go to Mr Columbia's site to find out! I know some Elgins, built by Westfield/Columbia, featured a Stewart-Warner "floating" front hub, it had some kind of rubber bushing inside, I think. If only we could still send for the "Handsome booklet"!! -Adam

love the describing words, dandy, handsome. :D they probably used rubber washers with all the hardware?

What the floating hub was---Was a large hub filled with rubber with a centersteel tube where the axle and barrings went.The rubber was injected ,this became a kind of shock absorber.Problem with these hubs is the rubber wore out and can't be replaced.

Back