Question for everyone who flipped dropouts on beehive spring

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have a problem with too much travel? If so how did you stop it? I flipped my dropouts. It looks cool. It rides ok. Except when i hit bigger bumps. My front tire hits the fork and locks it up like i have brakes on the front. Needless to say, my bike has given me a few flying lessons. Im more mad about the scratches in my paint than anything.
I love the bike but dont want to ride it anymore because of that problem. I dont want to put smooth tread tires on it because if i hit a bump hard enough , it will still stop the front wheel. Plus i like the knobby bmx tires.
The only thing i can think of is fabricate some stopper to weld to the dropouts. Then find some rubber bushings to slide over the stoppers to save my paint where they will hit. Im very interested in others ideas. I know many of you have flipped the forks around on your awesome builds. Thank you for any and all ideas!
IMG_20120809_152249.jpg

IMG_20120806_094805.jpg

IMG_20120802_125411.jpg

If it were me, I might try removing the spring and getting a skinnier stiffer spring inside it. Or place a rubber bushing over or under the spring to automatically increase the tension. Kinda like how people place those rubber blocks in between the coils in the springs on their trucks for a cheap lift.

Back