Question about wheels/tire sizing.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a set of tires for my "Tina's Pride" build/project (my first build-yay!),26"x2.125" Kenda whitewalls. The tires I took off the stock wheels say (thru their dryrotted-ness) 26"x 1 3/8"....so I took that to mean it was a 26" rim. They flat out will not fit,and standing a mtn bike 26" wheel beside it,it's obvious the old wheel is larger...

I read somewhere a statement "if it's a Schwinn,have your own tires...". I have no history on this bike,and when stripping the paint,saw no evidence of a brand on there,could this be a Schwinn and the wheel/tire issue I'd read about? If so,what would I need,like a 27" tire? And where can I find tires to fit (on a very tight budget),or should I try a wheel that could possibly be donated from one of my other bikes?

Thanks,guys! :)

Decimal and fractional sizes are always different, whether Schwinn or not. 26 x 1 3/8 was very common until around 1980 or so, now they're special order items, more info momentarily.

sheldon brown has a article explaining it all, you most likely need 26 x 1 3/8 (590) size tire, unless the rim is some real odd size, schwinn tire size says 26 x 1 3/8 but they really are schwinn specific (597), just look up the sheldon brown tire size it will give you some really good info, i had to learn the hard way, and those tires are sometimes a pain to take off and put back on, :D

Hmmm...seems I have 590 sized wheels alright. That might throw a kink in my build,due to budgeting new shoes :?

If you have a mtb-styled 1piece crank bike w/only 5 or 6 gears out back available, it is entirely possible the running gear from that may fit.(I figure if you had a ballooner you'd have already switched.)

Actually,I do...sorta. I have a Schwinn Mesarunner in need of a rebuild too,it's 2x6 (I ran it as a retro mtn SS a few years ago,with some Bontrager 1.95" knobbies). That's food for thought :idea: ,but may be outta my abilities for now (I'm polycogaphobic- :p -meaning predominently a singlespeeder,just started foolin w/ gears on my mtn bikes this past year,so multigeared drivetrains are put-near foreign to me :lol: )

I went out to the boneyard (LOL,where I park the few project bikes I have :p ) just to check a few minutes ago,all my "possible projects" appear to be sporting 26x1 3/8-aka 590 (the 1 67-68 Schwinn a 597 I suppose?). I sent an email to my bud that owns a unique LBS (predominently mtn bikes,but more emphasis on repairs and lifestyle than actually selling buttloads of bikes),to see if he can supply much needed (on every bike I have out there) rubber/tubes,what style-if any choice,and pricing. I don't mind mailorder,but I try to always support the local guys first. I may have to change bikes for the build in the mean-time,tho,and do that Mesarunner (at least till July,I really have,like near 0 budget :oops: ).

In the grand scheme of things,those weren't really that high,at least not compared to what I shelled out back in March for new shoes on both my 26" and 29er mtn bikes :p
I dunno what's a decent price for these types of tires (or any non-knobby tires for that matter),tho,so maybe it is.

Well,I still have a couple options,assuming the Boss-Lady says no new shoes bought again anytime soon (short leash-LOL!). I'll wait to hear back from my Bud,maybe trade out some labor (or pizza) for a set,or just do the Mesarunner up. Either way,I may just continue on with this build till I get to the point that I really need new tires on it and see where I am at that point.

I really appreciate the info and links,was very helpful and I learned some new stuff (and had forgotten all about the late,great Sheldon's site-may he R.I.P.). :mrgreen:

Check out ebay, theres a dude selling white walls in that size with tubes and everything for a pretty good deal. They aren't too expensive or hard to find yet.

Back