Question about Springer Forks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah those are the ones that people were having problems with( not fitting and taking alot of work to get to fit and also with shoddy craftmanship as in the welds not having penetration and snapping)
some have had good luck with them some bad but for that kind of money i wouldnt want to have to go and weld everything myself and then paint them again :|

yeah i knew we were talking about the same forks, i just meant what do you think about the ad? also i wasnt sure what you guys were saying was wrong with the forks, but now i do. i wonder if karfer would let me mock up my bike in his shop and see if we cant find a fit. i think hes got one there but its a bit out of my price range.

I usually just replace the fork pivot bolt with grade8 or stainless and the acorn nut I replace with a nylock nut. I usually do a shorter bolt on the spring and add a locknut. I've had some issues with the spring crown not lining up, and I've had to grind away about a 1/4" of the lip on each side of the crown so it will tilt down far enough to line up. As far as alignment goes, I assemble it, put the front wheel on, align everything, then tighten everything down.

The ones sold by Electra and Nirve look a little nicer than the ones sold as Pyramid/Dimension. The ones sold by the lowrider bike companies are the worst, especially the ones from China, but the ones made in Mexico are a little better. The only way to know what you are getting is to get your hands on it and look at it.

yeah exactly...hands on is the best, only problem is that i dont think i can find them locally in my price range to try and size them up...these are pretty cheap as far as i can see, so im wondering if its worth the risk to order them?????

decisions decisions

I don't think fitment was as much of a concern as the welds falling apart under normal riding conditions.

Adam had a customer break one and it scared him away from using them anymore.

SCARED ADAM AWAY OR THE CUSTOMER???

Well i emailed the guy about the fork...it is the same company. and he gave me a 100% money abck satisfaction guarantee.

Yeah...Adam said he wasn't going to sell or install them on people's bikes anymore after the customer came in with the broken one.

Will the company insure your face too?.....ha ha! :lol:

I found the long bolt that goes through the bottom on the cheap springers has alot of slop to it. I redrilled the hole to the next size and put a grade 8 bolt in it to fix it. You are still faced with the problem of them not having any bushings in the bottom tubes where the bolt goes through and when you tighten them down it will smash those tubes. Hey Steve I still have a real monark springer that looks really nice that I would sell for somewhere close to the repop price if your going to go that route. :lol: :lol:

monarkspringer001.jpg

i'd be interested in those...what are you thinking as far as price?

also, firebikes has the same repro forks so im seeing what they can do to assure me ill be satisfied. rat mentioned having my face insured, and i figure im so close to the ground as it is, that i can stop myself. ha ha

I have a set of both that I'm not going to use.Not because I dont like them ,but I flip bikes and I cant get the cost of the forks out of what I sell. I'm thinking probably $115 plus shipping . Maybe a little less for the repop ones like $105 plus shipping. The real ones have a little chrome loss on the springs in a spot or two but really look good for 50 or 60 year old parts. I replace the acorn nuts with new ones. These real ones are from a girls bike and you either have to have a long neck or have your lbs add more threads and then cut to the length you need. Dont think they charge much for the service.

Was that a picture of one of the ones for sale? or can you send some? im sure whatever condition you have them in will be fine for my use!. your price is right. especially for originals. may be a few before i can purchase them, but i feel safer getting originals and getting them from you than any of these web stores....i plan on replacing the springs anyways...and maybe even modifieing it so theres double springs (you know 2 bottom springs and 2 top springs) if i had a little welder, it seems easy to make one with round bar, a fork and some steel plating..and skateboard bearings

let me know how or if you would want to work out a sale....or if youre interested in some wheels and tires i have some for trade. 144 spoke 26 inch. and a set 26 x 2.125 flame treads and one 26 x 3 flame tread. we just each pay our own shipping and sned em off to each other. (i pay the wheel shipping, you pay the fork shipping. im sure the wheels cost more to ship)

PRAISE THE LOWERED said:
Was that a picture of one of the ones for sale? or can you send some? im sure whatever condition you have them in will be fine for my use!. your price is right. especially for originals. may be a few before i can purchase them, but i feel safer getting originals and getting them from you than any of these web stores....i plan on replacing the springs anyways...and maybe even modifieing it so theres double springs (you know 2 bottom springs and 2 top springs) if i had a little welder, it seems easy to make one with round bar, a fork and some steel plating..and skateboard bearings

let me know how or if you would want to work out a sale....or if youre interested in some wheels and tires i have some for trade. 144 spoke 26 inch. and a set 26 x 2.125 flame treads and one 26 x 3 flame tread. we just each pay our own shipping and sned em off to each other. (i pay the wheel shipping, you pay the fork shipping. im sure the wheels cost more to ship)
If your anyway handy at building things you should try your luck with one of these springers. Its all layed out and you can print the plans and then transfer them to your metal. make a really nice front end. If you want a monark to change I have one original almost complete that I would take considerably less for that is not in as good shape . Anyway the link to build one is....
as far as swaping for wheels I got into laceing and I have about 10 or 12 sets of wheels just waiting.
http://bikerodnkustom3.homestead.com/brainfork.html

wheelsets.jpg

those plans are really cool...i dont think i would know how to make them fit my bike though...plus i dont have the resources......scvratch the wheel swap idea ha ha. ill keep in touch about a sale if idont end up building one.

thanks

hey do you have a printable version of those instructions? printing from html cuts off a lot of info...word and excell re organize it, making it confusing

4 valve springs, 1' of 1/4" stock, 1" tubing, 1/2" tubing,torch and hammer,and drill and youve got a set of those forks :idea:
might have to try to make my own forks soon....

yeah its actually easier than i thought. im gonna have gerlinger steel cut the plates for me. im even making a model of it out of cardboard and wood to get the measurments to fit my bike...and im just using springs from my old cruiser springers. the honey dipper shape is awsome.

so i got a quote froma local steel supply shop and they quoted me $280 for the plates and cuts and the tubing....jiminy christmas thats a lot of money!!!!!

ugh. i wish i had some buddies to help me out.

I've never handled any of the Monark repro forks, but I did restore an old Monark bike with the single spring type springer. As far as I'm concerned, Monark springforks are junk, and you can have them all.
They are noisy, creaky, and have too much movement side to side. I'll take a Schwinn springer any day over one of those poorly designed Monarks. :p B607

Back