PROJECT P.U.B.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Now that I have the Rat Fink all squared away it's time for me to take on the P.U.B.

While the bike is really cool looking in it's factory format, I want to take a stab at customizing it a bit and make it more to my liking. A few of the changes I would like to make would be adding a Shimano Nexus 3 speed rear coaster hub, changing out the handlebars and stem and maybe different tires and seat. I'll have to tackle this one a little at a time as finances allow.

Here is the bike as it is now...

DSC_0038.jpg

And how it might look after a little tweaking...

pub.jpg

I'm liking the threadless stem look at the Felt cruiser bars for a more low profile look. Might be a tight squeeze with the springer though so we'll have to see.

bomberman said:
I've never seen one of these before and as a Raleigh fan i must say its an amazing looking bike!
Shame theres none in the UK otherwise i'd be looking to buy one 8)

They only made this model for one year back in 2006. I got lucky last year when a freight salvage company here in town listed this one on the CraigsList. The guy buys semi truck trailers full of damaged goods and this bike happened to be in there. The springer fork was a little bent up, but everything else was perfect and brand new. Even still had the tags and plastic on it. My LBS ended up ordering me a replacement from Raleigh for about $60. It was a miracle that they even had one sitting around still to sell me.

It has a really nice Atomic 13 aluminum frame. :D

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

Boy, they sure left a lotta daylight between the seat tube and rear tire! -Or I've been looking at Uncle Stretch's recent builds too much lately! :lol: -Adam

I like the blacked out look....maybe a set of creme Felts would look good also.

I'd love to have one of those bikes. I'm a fenders kinda guy, so I'd have to add a set like this. Of course, the seat post and stem would be MUCH lower.

PUBwithFENDWERS908730.jpg

nice bike!!! love your blacked out render, but if i may add, hows some cream tires, and hairpin saddles?? match the grips to the saddle too. sweeeeeet!!!!!!!!!

Have fun with the mild customizing!! I love these bikes too. Almost bought one back in 06, but bought my Electra instead. One kibbutz/request: please make a replacement panel to black out. so that you save the PUB decals on the stock panel. Just in case.

Sorry for the kibbutzing. :oops:

Uncle Stretch ran across those back when - and thought about building something similar but never did it.

I think the PUB stood for Public Utility Bike. I guess they envisioned hoards of meter readers riding those suckers around the neighborhoods to save gasoline and go green. :D

Obviously since they only made them one year that didn't happen.

Your blacked out version looks good - but then the yellow rims look good too. It should be nice now matter which way you go with it.

RatRodDad said:
I think the PUB stood for Public Utility Bike. I guess they envisioned hoards of meter readers riding those suckers around the neighborhoods to save gasoline and go green. :D

i think the p.u.b. was just an acronym that complimented the bottle opener, unless theyre encouraging drinking on the job :mrgreen:

and i think the mile of space between the the rear wheel and seat post is Raleighs way of trying to make a "flatfoot" geometry bike without looking just like electras cruisers.

personally i like it stock but something about the fork bugs me ... i could see some different bars and grips on there for sure though :mrgreen:

I definitely like the plan for the new clamp on stem and lower bars! But I agree the front fork just doesn't look Beefy enough for this bike. A blacked out triple tree might look cool...

As for the wheels, i could go either way, the yellow is unique, but the black is cool too.

I drew that thing out several times and tried twice to build it ....early in my frame building career....never got it. I wish one of you guys that have the ability to photoshop it ,could do that frame with the Basman type seatpost around the back wheel. I would love to see what it would look like. :idea:

Nice work Mark...it does look cool.

The only thing I'd change is the very bottom bar...I'd probably raise it up an inch or so.

The question is...can he build it out of aluminum? :wink:

Latest posts

Back