Pricing on 62' Schwinn American King Size

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldnt go more than 200, but it looks to be in great shape..just dont like ebay prices :p I can pick up the 20" version Typhoon in red and all, just a smaller of this for 75. Its a decent little rider, but for 200,. Id rather have a Columbia Playbike.

Right there on my CL, too! I think $400 is a fair price and, as such, i suspect it will sell by Friday... if it hasn't already.

Thanks! Yeah I picked her up at an estate sale a couple weeks ago. I knew absolutely nothing about vintage bikes but it was just too cool looking to pass up. She was hiding under a lot of surface rust. It took a lot of elbow grease to clean.

That's an awesome bike. As far as rarity I dunno cause I'm looking at 3 of them in front of me right now. As far as saying they sell for $1200 I don't agree at all. There's someone selling a 69 schwinn on the las vegas cl for $1500. Those kind of prices are the people who watched the pickers and think cause it's old it's worth a ton. Fair market value I've bought in the past for between $200-$400 so you're at a good starting point on the price. But you're missing the accessories and racks etc etc. but there's a market out there on these and someone like Cory wants it. It's hard to pin a specific value cause pricing varies all over the country. People out west will tend to pay more whereas the Midwest has an ample supply of these old bikes on almost every corner. Unfortunately those guys on the other website ripped you apart on your sale add and people are reading that so if I was you I'd take it down cause I promise you those statements that were made are gonna deter a lot of people especially collectors from buying it. I don't agree with them, but it's out there now so you might want to deal with that. It is true that the American model was a king size model and does hold a higher value then others. But I think you have one pretty bike there sir. Best of luck to ya

Thanks, it really is a nice bike. Really happy I found it.

Nah, I'm not saying they are worth $1250 necessarily. I'm just saying the only listing I found for one was for $1250. Are the ones you looking at the King Size version? If so, do you have some links or pics?

As far as the other site. They were concerned the rust inhibitor I applied might be a clear coat paint, which it is not. But they are right that a seller shouldn't clear coat paint a bike because some collectors see clear coat as something that is not original to the bike and they want 100% original. I have since removed the rust inhibitor so it's a moot point now anyhow.

I've received two offers thus far for my asking price. If I don't receive better offers by tomorrow night, I'm going to let her go live in a new home.

Thanks, it really is a nice bike. Really happy I found it.

Nah, I'm not saying they are worth $1250 necessarily. I'm just saying the only listing I found for one was for $1250. Are the ones you looking at the King Size version? If so, do you have some links or pics?

As far as the other site. They were concerned the rust inhibitor I applied might be a clear coat paint, which it is not. But they are right that a seller shouldn't clear coat paint a bike because some collectors see clear coat as something that is not original to the bike and they want 100% original. I have since removed the rust inhibitor so it's a moot point now anyhow.

I've received two offers thus far for my asking price. If I don't receive better offers by tomorrow night, I'm going to let her go live in a new home.
Yea I think you have a great bike and a good price. Never never use ebay as a value guide. There's crap that's been sitting there for a year for some insane amount of money. Typically 1960s middleweights carry around the same values. Though you're missing certain parts you have an amazing example of an original bike that not only could be used for display purposes but also would make a great daily rider. I personally don't own the Americans my collection goes from late 1800s to 1941, the Americans are property of the barbershop and all images are under ownership of the owner blah blah blah blah. Trust me I've tried before haha. But if you're ever in vegas stop and take a look.

I don't claim to be an expert ever I've just been into bikes along time. If I'm correct the year of your bike was the only year for the king size but Im probably wrong and there's guys that know a heck more then me that can fill it in. Like all collectors I started with the 60s middleweights and over time sold it all and re stocked prewars. I know that your specific model like the corvette with all the right parts I've seen them bring upwards of $600 on resell. Regardless I think you have a great bike with a decent price and if I was into those kind of bikes I'd glady grab it. Bikes are like cars, the more accessories the higher the sale price goes.

Also I just messaged Eddie the barber out here and my buddy. They're avid schwinn guys one of them will know if the king size was a one year deal or not. I've bought a few in the past but they were just for fast flips to get what I wanted.

Schwinn American was produced from 1955-1965 the king size was available from 1962-1964 they offered it in 3 king size versions, the king size a18, the heavy duty king size a14, and the hd kingsize a19. Not considered to be rare but uncommon. Rare would be a 59 white corvette. But still an uncommon bike. Hope that helps

Here's a few pics I took a couple mins ago with the inhibitor removed. Looks the same as before. Just as an fyi.

oHJ8Mge.jpg
xfjxOMK.jpg

So was my offer the best so far??
That being said I feel you priced it spot on. But if it was not the larger frame it would just be another red Schwinn to me. I'm 6'2" 250 pounds and enjoy riding the larger size. If this was a standard American it's a $250 bike in my market. Problem is most people don't care that much about the bigger size. I have had a couple prewar 20 inch cruisers and ended up getting the same value as the same bike in the 18 inch size. On a side note I purchased a $500 ($3000 new) carbon fiber 14' paddle board since my offer and have to take the offer off the table. GLWS!
7ea2b22b35c07e3fb8bcede1226b373e.jpg

Latest posts

Back