Power tools and bikes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Putting a hex bit in a drill will speed up things if the stem wedge is left way loose, and a drill doesn't normally have enough power to damage things. That "drill clutch clacking" was it slipping to limit the torque applied, and if they had it set for sheet rock screws things were probably undertightened. When you are being paid piecework you use whatever is available to speed things up. The trick is knowing when to use power tools and when not to, which at Walmart's labor rate might be a stretch for some of their workforce. I'd be really scared of broken/stripped parts if I knew they were using air tools. The usual problem I see is incorrect assembly and loose parts, not overtightening. What gets me is they have bikes with flat tires on display in many stores.

I drove by the garden center for a Walmart in the TX panhandle the other day. HUNDREDS of assembled bikes sitting outside. Don't tell me the mom and pop stores weren't affected by them. When's the last time you drove by an official Schwinn dealership that was open? Used to be they were everywhere, not anymore.

Only power tools I've used have been a Angle Grinder , a Drill , & Mig Welder :crazy:

I use all hand tools for regular assembly and maintenance. My power tools are used for modifications and restoration. A Dremel and drill are about it.

most of the ones i see at wallymart must be finger-tightened. i cant see much reason to use power tools on a brand new, outta the box bike. on older stuff, well, if youre here reading this, you probably know enough about bikes and tools to be safe.

Only reason they might do it at Walmart is speed...which translates to more $$. Properly used, there is nothing wrong with a drill driver with a clutch. Problem is I doubt there is training on bike assembly at most Walmarts. It is pretty stupid, as their tire and auto centers are so scared of lawsuits they won't do most tire repairs and can't loosen a stuck oil pan plug anymore, but they let kids assemble bicycles and send them out the door in unsafe condition much of the time. I guess the lawyers haven't discovered the fruitful world of bicycle lawsuits yet.

A Dremel to cut cable housings, pneumatic impact for removing hard to get off free wheels. sawzall for the stuck aluminum seat post and to cut up a frame to frankin bike. 4 inch grinder and D.A. Sander. Drill to punch holes. Mig Welder, other wise all hand tools to build and disassemble.

Wow, I'd imagine that could get messy fast! How many times have you turned an axle nut only to turn the entire axle? Imagine doing that with an impact wrench and quickly unscrewing the hub, dumping the bearings, and spreading the dropouts.:43:

Sounds like voice of expierence to me ;)

I never tried power tool, but I think it would fine and even faster. If you set the torque properly on the drill, you will not have to worry about over torquing.

I haven't encountered anything on a bike which takes enough turns to warrant the time to find and connect the proper bit to the drill.

I can imagine that new bike assembly could be helped quite a bit with power tools, assuming they are used correctly. Have a number of drills, each for a specific task/bolt, with the clutch set appropriately for that task would make each bike come out consistently and probably better than people with hand tools.

I got yer power tool.:bigboss:

bike3023.jpg

Back