Powder Coating

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am completing a rat rod broadracer had some powder coating done by Race City Powder Coating in Mooresville, NC.

I have the frame done in a bright yellow and they did an awesome job. These guys no what there doing when it comes to powder coating.

I will post some pictures after it is completed....

Can't wait to see the pics. If you don't mind, what was the cost? I asked a local powdercoater where I live and I kid you not, this is what he told me when I asked about coating some rims:

YES WE CAN COAT YOUR WHEELS FOR YOU. A SET OF MOTORCYCLE WHEELS WOULD NORMALLY RUN $375.00,
BUT WE WILL GET YOU KNOCKED OUT FOR $300.00 A SET AND IT WILL BE 2-3 DAYS TO FINISH WHEN WE GET THEM.

:shock: How is that a deal??? I did tell him that they were chrome and might need to be blasted first, but does that really raise the cost to $300?

Anyone here ever ship stuff to a powdercoater? I wouldn't mind doing that if their prices were good. My other alternative is just to grind the chrome off with 80-grit flap disc and paint'em myself.

A place down the road from me wanted $ 300 to do a dirt bike frame of mine (not including prep). I though it was criminal. But he is the only show in town. It would be great if we could find a shop that could do the work for a fair price. I'm going to call a guy i know with a auto/custom paint shop and see what the deal is. I also found some old paperwork from a company in NJ, he was quoting $ 100.00, but that was 8 years ago.

Eastwood products sells a complete powdercoat system for around 220 .I got mine used off ebay for 78 bucks and bought some powder from eastwood and others off ebay. I just got a blast cabinet from harbor freight for 219 and now can clean parts. I got a free stove from a guy throwing it out and wired it with 6/4 os wire i think thats what it was lol..its flexible 220 volt wire and i got 11 feet for 22 bucks good for 50 amp circuits since i dont have 220 in the garage and my wife wouldnt let me bring in the extra stove i welded some 10 in tires that where on sale and h/f and welded them to the stove with some angle iron. Stop laughing it works lol , then when i want to powder coat i unwrap FRANKENSTOVE and pull back on the stove to ride on the tires and bring it over by the window and run the extension cord into the house ,then when done unplug,wheel back over and tarp after cooling. Cheapest way to get to use 220 for me anyway. Ive done intakes for cars,sprockets,wheels,cranks, wish i could do a bike frame still working on that concept with an old freezer and some stove parts.

Back