post-war Manton & Smith

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary that looks awesome! Sorry haven't checked in on this site for a while or I would have seen your finished bike sooner. Looks super-cool!

What did you do for paint? Or is it powder coat? Love your original front forks, definitely "balloon" style, wish I would have held out for a set myself. The brickwalls are great too, Duros?

I'm currently swapping my rear hub out for a Bendix red-band, have given up on the New Departure; too fiddly, too much play at the rim, and the sprocket is slightly out of round which when combined with the front sprocket being also ever-so-slightly off makes a very tight point in the chain every couple of rotations; in fact I just discovered a broken link in the new chain I put on. The ND hub has great braking though and is very smooth, I'm a bit p.o.'d that I couldn't make it work properly. I may swap in another set of internals before I break the rim apart, but to be frank I'm a bit tired of pouring money into that hub. Sometimes you just have to move on... I also ended up having the rims re-laced with some heavier double-butted spokes; the rear kept breaking spokes, I think it might be the repro drop-centres are a bit on the flexxy side.... Good on you for going aluminum, smart move.

You running a 46 tooth front sprocket? Or a 48? Looks like the latter. I swapped to a Wald 46 tooth in the same style.... I wimped out... but tired of the chronic lower back pain!

Anyways nice work! Looks great! Too bad I wasn't closer, they'd make a great photo op together!

cheers

greg v.

Greg the color is Moss Grey powdercoat Ral 7003 done at Heritage Bicycles in Chicago for $100 it included sand blasting ! I was so impressed with the job I built my own PC oven and bought a Harbor freight PC gun did one frame a Shelby for a charity auction not as good as the pro job but I was happy. I just did a slight makeover on it will post photo later tonight. It got some Kalloy alloy riser bars same cross brace and a Gyes brown seat not sure of front sprocket count and the tires are duro.....I'm cheap! If you ever make it to Chicago let me know we'll get a city ride together.
The Shelby (in your style) auction bike.http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...y-auction-build-done.79541/page-4#post-794669

the Shelby.
se0b.jpg

The upgraded Manton & Smith
v6r4.jpg

Back