Possible first customer build?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at work showing my brother a couple pictures of my builds for the build off. One of the guys at work peeked over our shoulder to see what we were looking at and liked them. Asked if I would be interested in selling Lucky Strike. I told him I was kinda partial to it because we're the same year model and it is the only rollfast I have that started out as a men's bike. But I told him I had a 64 Columbia I might would part ways with he sounded interested. Told me to think about over the weekend and come up with a price.
There in lays the problem I have never sold 1 of my builds and not knowing what kind of price I should ask for . Not looking to make a lot of money because I enjoy the building. Don't want to lose any money either.

I struggle with that too. Just a hobby for me and I’m not really worried about making money, but also shouldn’t be losing money. I have told family and friends I will just charge them he cost of parts. Others I have said $100 plus parts. But I don’t really think it is the best way. Parts add up fast and it communicating cost changes throughout the build can be awkward.

I’ve only been doing this for a few years and am getting better about estimating costs. I think the better approach is to set a price up front that you think will cover costs plus $100 or so. And just accept the risk that sometimes your costs may be higher than expected. That way the buyer has a set price.

There in lays the problem I have never sold 1 of my builds and not knowing what kind of price I should ask for . Not looking to make a lot of money because I enjoy the building. Don't want to lose any money either.
Wow, that's kind of cool. You do build nice bikes. Depending on how the guy is you could just tell him this and maybe ask just a little more than you have in it? Sounds reasonable-ish.

the best price is the one the customer is willing to pay, Dont sell yourself too short.
Remember that quad bike I made for my first customer, cost $1k in parts... I want at least $1100, BUT WOULD LIKE $1250, The quad itself being my project made by an unqualified welder but still coming out in show room condition..Hmmmm, its because of legalities i'll only ever ask a hundred or 2 over what the parts cost, even though it took almost 3 months of my time and tools etc, its a hobby and done for love n fun,
So ask your preferred price, but leave room to drop if he ummms and Rrrrrrrr's unless your desperate dont sell for less than your cost's, break even at best to just move on!
Good luck!

I struggle with that too. Just a hobby for me and I’m not really worried about making money, but also shouldn’t be losing money. I have told family and friends I will just charge them he cost of parts. Others I have said $100 plus parts. But I don’t really think it is the best way. Parts add up fast and it communicating cost changes throughout the build can be awkward.

I’ve only been doing this for a few years and am getting better about estimating costs. I think the better approach is to set a price up front that you think will cover costs plus $100 or so. And just accept the risk that sometimes your costs may be higher than expected. That way the buyer has a set price.
I just do it for a hobby myself and no intention of trying to build to sell I usually become to attached and don't want to get rid of them.

Don't undervalue the skill you are bringing, Brian. I'm 100% certain that what you build will be higher quality than a new bike from a sporting goods store. Also will have that "cool factor" that can't be faked. You need to charge accordingly, or at least be sure it's more than a Walmart bike.
On the other hand, I tried selling one of my Build Off bikes, the buying public may not see things the same way I do...

Guess it's not going to be a build after I showed him the pics of the 64 Columbia he liked the way it looked. He said he wanted something vintage So I'm just going to put some new tubes and change out the tires and make a couple dollars and some room in the shed.
IMG_20230724_184218295.jpg

Last edited:
Took the bike to work to show it to him and now he has changed his mind and wants me to patina it up for him. I stripped the bike down last weekend and seen the original paint color on the fork it was originally red. So I wondered if there was any red left under the green took some sandpaper and decided to find out.
IMG_20230807_181441290.jpg
IMG_20230807_200049961_HDR.jpg
it has some bare spots on it but some rustifying will take care of that and whatever I decide to coat it will shoulder bring the colors out hopefully.

If I were to sell a custom or restored bike, I would figure 3x the price of parts used and gauge its value from there. Then look at your time for custom work like “patina” and such. Your work is very nice and should be valued. But overall time for the build is really hard to figure its value for and charge accordingly. Some of the build time has to be for the love of building. Make sure you don’t feel disappointed after the sale and don’t let selling them ruin the fun. Good luck with your deal!

don’t let selling them ruin the fun

That is great advice. Years ago I was into woodworking. Mostly building little tables for fun. Someone hired me to build a custom bench and it was the exact opposite of fun. It was the first and last piece I did for hire. Everything else was for fun or gifts for family and friends.

Currently I am obsessed with repurposing resurrecting recycling restoring repairing reusing bicycles. Maybe I just like words that start with R E. I have no problem selling them because it justifies spending money on the next project. But I think my love for this would quickly fall apart if I was trying to make a real profit. (Maybe not)

That is great advice. Years ago I was into woodworking. Mostly building little tables for fun. Someone hired me to build a custom bench and it was the exact opposite of fun. It was the first and last piece I did for hire. Everything else was for fun or gifts for family and friends.
Feeling ya pain, I was into making my own Hand drums, as with you only for myself and family to play, I made 14 and unexpectedly became an expert after 5 yrs at something I never thought would happen, I finally came to sell a couple and the pain started, couldnt sell em for anything!, every musician I came across raved about them but to make em to sell was too bigger task, the labour + cost and then to have people try n haggle you down to below production costs,.....just play em now, couldnt be happier! but what I did learn from it all is...I now know why big drumming companies like Pearl, Latin Percussion, Meinl etc use the production might of countries like China, Malaysia and Indonesia....Cost cutting!

Yep. The bench couldn’t be done fast enough. I remember putting a lot of attention into the grain patterns. Something the buyer didn’t appreciate. After I delivered it the buyer decided to staple a foam cushion to the top. Covering all of the hard work I put it. I was trying to create something special. He just wanted a bargain. It’s easy to confuse a hobby with a job.

I do dream of starting a little bike shop when I retire. But, only for something to keep me busy while I live off the 401k.

Didn't really have any intention on selling any of my bikes. It's a co-worker who saw a couple pictures of my bikes and asked if I wanted to sell one so I had 2 of the Columbia's I hadn't done anything with. Plus I needed a little room so I told him I would sell that one. Don't really want to sell the ones I have built cause I built them how I wanted and don't want to get rid of them. But that brings the problem of where to keep them 😂 lol

Took the bike to work Friday and my co-worker loved it. Got my money for it gonna miss it because I think it turned out great.
Hope you gave them the link to RRB😊👍

Latest posts

Back