Pop's blown VW Bus goes to Maxton

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last weekend I traveled up to Maxton North Carolina to see the East Coast speed trials, and watch my Dad take his Bus down the track to see what it would do in "THE MAXTON MILE"
Basically the East Coast Timing Assoc. turned an old airstrip into a mini Bonneville.
The goal....run what ya brung, foot to the floor wide open to the mile mark and see what your speed is.
Dad has been preppin' the Bus for some time to see what she would do.

100_2001.jpg

And being the true Hot Rodder that he is....he drove it 700 miles from Pennsylvania!

Here he is pullin' in the Track.
100_1992-1.jpg

100_1986-1.jpg

Day one was a wash out due to rain, this was the road to the starting line via the Bus.

100_1988.jpg

Pops got a few neat things I haven't seen before in it. The Gasser shift knob and newly fabbed chute release arm.

100_1989.jpg

100_1991.jpg

ECTA Rules had him add a little more to the roll cage, and when they saw the door handle, tape an explaination on the door for the emergency crew on how the doors opened if they needed to get him out quick.

100_2031.jpg

100_2026.jpg

On his first run he was limited to 135 mph, so he peddeled it through the traps at 123, just checking everything out to see how it handled. After the run he was like a kid in a candy store all giddy and smiley!!!
On the next run he was going to the floor to see what she had, he said that "She was haulin' the mail" and it looked R E A L fast at the half mile mark.....then two puffs of white smoke belched out the pipes and it was game over :(
Two pistons were toasted. Due to the really cold weather he thinks that the jetting was off and leaned her out to much.

100_2030.jpg

Now the Bus was really "blown"....how to get her home?
Luckily, He had a cousin follow him down and had a hitch on his van.
Some really cool racers from Canada offered to trailer it back to the hotel until he found a trailer so they could get it home.

****The pic he never wanted anyone to see

100_2034.jpg

He still held his head up (except for the above photo, lol) and had a great time, people loved the Bus, what's not to love about some serious "Flower Power".
He'll be back next year :mrgreen:

There was talk of a Hyabusa last year doin 250+, I'll have to do some research on that, I don't doubt it though, I saw a few 200+ runs on bikes...Crazy!

Here are a few more pics of what was there and ran.

100_2017.jpg

100_2016.jpg

100_2002.jpg

100_2027.jpg

100_1995.jpg

100_1994.jpg

100_2000.jpg

100_2009.jpg

100_2006.jpg

100_2004.jpg

100_2013.jpg

100_2019.jpg

100_2011.jpg

100_2021.jpg

I think i watched 20 videos about VWs on youtube and I saw your Pops bus every time.. Sweet.

Thanks for sharing this Kenny....sorry about the bus, but I'm guessing she'll be even better after the repairs. :wink:

Hey Kennyp wasnt you pops bus in Hot Rod magazine a while back. Or was it on t.v ? I have seen that hot rod somewhere before. That bus ROCKS. Thanks for the pics. Wanna see a wheelie. 8)

The apple dosent fall far from the tree! :lol: :lol: That bus kicks some SERIOUS A%%!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: 8) 8) 8) 8)
L8 EM

Kenny, that's your father's rig?? I've seen the van in mags. Let your dad know there's at least one guy in Texas who thinks him and his truck are the bees knees.

PLEASE! Keep us updated on your dad's progress and exploits w/ his van. Too cool.

Oh yeah, tell your pops to join hubgarage.com. There's lots of folks on there that would love to know more about the van.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

sorry to hear about the PUFF PUFF but i bet he got a MILLION smiles and showed some guys they didn't have the ponies on the trip down :mrgreen:

dude
i LOVE the don garlits signiture on the dashboard in the picture(got a few myslef :D :D )
i really like that shelby daytona and the van is SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KENNY P!!! I LOVE THIS DAMND THING! Tell pops i love the new wheels! it looks alot better then the american racing ones. it sucks he got shut out due 2 the pistons fryin'. Is HOTROD covering maxton mile this year? i think, THEY SHOULD Put pops bus in the magazine again! :] man kenny, i love that thing, NOW WE ALL SEE WHERE U GET UR BUG FOR CUSTOMIZATION FROM! Has pops done anywork 2 the crosley?

Thanks for all the props to Pop's....I'll have him check out all your posts.
He ain't gonna be thrilled with me postin' his baby on the trailer though! :mrgreen:

Yeah Ricky, Hot Rod was there with nice jackets for the Top Speed Shoot out winners.

Check out the ECTA site

http://www.ecta-lsr.com/

Check out some of the speeds.......pretty cool stuff.

Thanks again guys, I'm pretty lucky to have such a cool Dad. 8)

Man I LOVE that VW bus...can't believe he DROVE it to the meet LOL. That's alot of motor! and with the price of gas! And to run it over a mile course...a 1/4 miler can find you can get going a little TOO fast (X4)! Too bad the motor packed it in :( Once you get into these sorts of hobbies, bicycles seem to be very affordable!

Did your Pa build this Model as a kid? :wink:

bajabeast

Or more likely this one (Baja Beast a repackage of the 1st edition Baja Bandito):

baja_bandito

I remember building the Bandito as a kid (with the little Honda 'Monkey' mini bike)...maybe that's what gave your dad 'the bug''?

P.S. Kudos to the boys form Ontario for lending the trailer...

Yep, them Canadians are A-OKAY!!

I wonder if Pa ever saw that model, pretty neat!

Found out from Dad last night that it was a couple exhaust valves that came apart! Pistons were fine, yippiee!! :D

Thanks for postin' those pix Rat Fink.

Back