POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE 7/25 BATTERY TUBE DONE BIKE DONE!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE 6/18 PIC ON HER WHEELS!

Looks awesome!!! like i said before, murray springers look like they belong on cwc frames...

isn't that a western flyer x-53 fork? (they go for a small fortune on ebay.)
IMG_4828.jpg

yep, that's what it is. if i ever sell this bike the springer will be traded out for a different fork! i am holding on to that baby! :p

Murray ohio built the western flyer - but that springer was also on a "murray mercury" being the murray madman, i wouldent have expected any less!!!

lobsterboyx said:
Murray ohio built the western flyer - but that springer was also on a "murray mercury" being the murray madman, i wouldent have expected any less!!!

so the werstern flyer was made for western auto by murray?

learn something new everyday. :)

sweet ride bud!

lookin good! i say a higgins gaurd would be the finishing touch for this thing!

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE 6/21 SEAT POST DONE

heated and bent up my seat post today and put it in to see how she looked. i like it! i like the way the seat seats down between the fender and frame. i am definately thinking no rear carrier at this point! :wink: still need to pull the rear wheel and clean the brake, it has absolutely nothing! need to mount the headlight and taillight, make battery tube and mount. pinstripe the front fender and put on the front fender brace and get the higgins chain guard off the donor bike and see how it fits and paint it. i am trying to get my pop up camper done also, or i would be further along on this.
DSCF9555.jpg

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE 6/25 CHAIN GUARD MOCK UP OPINION?

i have had the worst time the past week trying to get into working on this bike! :x the higgins guard didn't look right at all. what do you think of this one? i will have to trim the end a little bit. i thought of an idea for my battery holder, a small old wooden cheese box, one with a sliding lid on it. i think that would be neat, especially if i can find one with the writing in good condition. probably just put some linseed oil on it to brighten it up and hang it from the bottom bar.
DSCF9561.jpg

i just noticed something after looking at the last pic i posted! i need to flip the mount on the seat so the seat sets down over the post. amazing what you notice after looking at something in a pic!HA :wink:

murraymadman said:
i just noticed something after looking at the last pic i posted! i need to flip the mount on the seat so the seat sets down over the post. amazing what you notice after looking at something in a pic!HA :wink:

i concur. :)

the bike looks great!

cool, thanks. but what about the chain guard? will probably paint it burgundy as the main color w/the grey and black/white highlights.

plan on getting the guard trimmed to fit today an strip the paint and get it into primer and base coat. i almost hate to strip the original paint off, it has such great patina! well, atleast it will be at home with the fenders, they came from the same bike as well :wink:

Looking good! Are the handlebars custom made? I love the long pull back. Mine aren't pull back but they are so long that I can ride completely sitting up. It's a little different but it's a rush at night.

thanks for the compliments! roadmaster, the bars are custom. all i did is cut off some extensions from another set and welded them on with a reinforcement, the cross bar is just a piece of conduit. they are cool to ride with the long reach. i got the chain guard painted this evening, should be ready to stripe about december! :lol: the stupid humidity is crazy right now, will take a couple of days to dry until i am comfortable putting any kind of masking down. :wink: will get a few pics up tomorrow.

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE 6/27 CHAIN GUARD PAINTED

got the chain guard trimmed and painted yesterday. looks pretty good i think. will lay down the other colors on it in a few days. the rear wheel will be coming off tonight to clean/grease the hub. need to soak the chain in some oil, i have a few spots that catch, hopefully it will come into it. :wink:
DSCF9579.jpg

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE 6/27 CHAIN GUARD PAINTED

well, i am going to ride her to work tomorrow. she isn't done, i still have to finsish the chain guard, paint/mount the headlight, make a battery holder and finish the pinstriping on the front fender. should be able to pretty much finish it this weekend. :wink:

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE 7/2 BATTERY HOLDER IN PROGRESS

rode the bike to work today and it rides really nice. the only bad part is the chain. i have soaked it and it still pops and cracks, just don't think it is going to come into it. here is my plan for the battery holder. it is an old cheese box and i am going to put a battery holder in it. it will hang from the bottom bar. the switch is an old automotive fan switch that i will try to use. it is a reostat switch so i think i can make it brighter or dimmer. that will be cool! :wink: will sand and stain the box and make a latch for the lid or just use screws to hold it shut.
DSCF9587.jpg

Back