Poor Man's Method

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I had a stem that was super rusted in a fork that I really wanted to save. I cut the stem off above the fork nut so I could get it out of the frame. I had heard that heating rusted parts red hot and dousing them with cold water will cause them to shrink enough to break the rust bond. I don't have a big acetylene torch, but I do have one of those little single burner camp stoves that screws on top of a little propane bottle like for a Bernzomatic torch. So, that's what I did. Roasted that fork and stem like a hot dog and plunged it into a bucket of water a couple times, clamped it in the vise, snapped on the vise grips and voila - out it came!!

I also heard squirting a little French's mustard on it after it's heated will give it some extra kick. :wink:

Rat Rod said:
I also heard squirting a little French's mustard on it after it's heated will give it some extra kick. :wink:
You know
you shouldnt say that because people like me will actually try it..then bring it on the how to forum
my neck covered in mustard

"Why is this not working?...it tastes delicious!"

Back