Pole Girl (80's era Jamis Earth Cruiser resto.)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the positive comments about this build. I really appreciate all the kind words left for me in my Intro. posting.

Please excuse the length of this post !!!

However, I hope that some builders/artists will appreciate the detail and commentary.

My premise was to restore this bike with an "old school" look and to keep this a low $$ build. I recycled and refurbished as many original parts as possible. All paint was done with rattle can "spray bombs". I estimate that I have about $ 70 USD invested in this project.

Original bike condition. This 80's era Jamis Earth Cruiser was given to me by a neighbor.
BeforeR.jpg

BeforeSeat.jpg

Closeup of rust on chainguard, chain ring and crank. All of these pits in the chainguard became holes after media blasting. I had to use body filler from the backside of chainguard – squeegee it through the holes – smooth it out on front – sand – primer – paint - clear. Chain ring and crank were media blasted and refinished with Dupli-Color wheel paint and clear (supposedly somewhat resistant to solvents and wear). Restored pics of these items are posted later in this series.
BeforeChainRing.jpg

Original wheels were trashed and unusable. They were replaced with less rusty, but still crusty, used ones which were given to me. I media blasted them to remove what little chrome was left – then used etching primer before painting the rims red / spokes silver – finishing off with clear coat. Hubs were cleaned and polished. Restored wheels will be shown later in the series.
BeforeRearWheel.jpg

Original chrome frame was a mess. Seat post and handlebar stem were hopelessly rusted in place. No amount of persuasion, penetrating oil or heat would loosen them. Finally sucked it up, left them alone – and worked around this issue. Frame was media blasted – coated with etching primer – sanded - coated with sandable primer – sanded - white areas painted – sanded - white areas masked – black painted - sanded – clear coat applied.
Painting.jpg

Painting the chainguard. White has been painted and masked – black being applied.
ChainguardPaint.jpg

Restored chainguard before graphics
Chainguard.jpg

Talked with Jamis Bicycles and was told that original graphics are no longer available. Took pics and measurements and sent to a local graphics shop. They matched the font and made repops for this build.

Original Frame Graphics
BeforeRGraphic.jpg

Original Fork Graphics
BeforeRFrontFork.jpg

Repop Graphics
Graphics.jpg

Restored frame and chainguard with graphics.

Drive Side
FramewithgraphicsR.jpg

Closeup Drive Side
Chainguard-Seatpost.jpg

Ugly Side
FramewithgraphicsL.jpg

Closeup Ugly Side
LPaintdetail.jpg

Restored wheels with new tires and dice valve stem caps. I bought three sets of new tires at an auction for $15 – sold two sets for $40 – and kept this pair as “freebies”. Bought a box of five dice at Wal-Mart for less than a buck – drilled them out with a 25/64” bit – epoxied the Schrader valve caps into them.

Front
FrontWheel.jpg

Rear
RearWheel.jpg

Front closeup w/ dice valve stem cap
FrontWheelDetail.jpg

I got the seat from a local Schwinn dealer. They sold an ’07 Cruiser SS that had the lime green/olive green seat. The buyer requested that the seat be changed before taking delivery, so the LBS had this brand new seat left over and were having difficulty selling it. I offered $10 and they took me up on it. Score !! I masked off the chrome buttons and used black and white vinyl color to get the look I was after.
SeatR.jpg

SeatTop.jpg

Restored chainguard, crank, chain ring – with new KMC plated chain and Pyramid pedals.
Chain.jpg

ChainguardDetail.jpg

Finished Bike.

Front View Drive Side
RSideView.jpg

Front View / Ugly Side
FrontView.jpg

Rear View
RRearView.jpg

Rear View #2
RRearView2.jpg

Rider’s View – with original bars and new Pyramid Krayton Rubber Bullet Grips
RidingView.jpg

If you’ve stayed with me this far…..Thanks for your interest !!!

Resto

Great post of the build job. One of the most detailed. That is not the ugly side of the bike just a little neglected. You have some Mad Skillz.

Look forward to seeing more of your work. Now go get another bike.

cman, Thanks. BTW, your Black Rat is wicked. I enjoyed watching its progress during the RBBO. The stance of that bike is unique....not to mention the headbadge especially designed for "adult beverages"

CCR, I appreciate the feedback.

Resto

NICE BIKE MAN!! Check my posts, Well i gotta goto school im gonna be late after reading all that haha it was a good read, See u around man, Peace.

I love the progress pic's..
great "Build Pic's"

I see you are familier with the "Ladder Spray/ drying" rack" :mrgreen:

you did an incredible job bringing it back to life...with it's
own personal Flave.

Now, it's time to build one for the Wife so she can Cruise
The Sea Walls and Board Walks with you at your Summer Retreat.

we got yaa now Resto.......your hooked :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

peace,
Kev.

Fantastic job Resto! Thanks for posting your build.

Glad to hear you know a little about mini-bike resto's too. I've got a '71? Honda mini-trail(Z50?) that needs some TLC so I'll be knocking on your door.

By the way, your beach house wouldn't happen to be around Emerald Isle would it?

I love the progress pic's..
great "Build Pic's"

I see you are familier with the "Ladder Spray/ drying" rack"

you did an incredible job bringing it back to life...with it's
own personal Flave.

Now, it's time to build one for the Wife so she can Cruise
The Sea Walls and Board Walks with you at your Summer Retreat.

we got yaa now Resto.......your hooked

peace,
Kev.

Kev..... You're right bro. - I'm hooked !

These bicycles are a nice break from the intricacies of motorcycle resoration - a lot cheaper too !

I've picked up two more 26" X 2.125" cruisers (free of charge !) since I finished this one last week.

Another friend was stoked at what I did on this build and GAVE me a very nice Women's Jamis Earth Cruiser. It's burgundy candy-finish with chrome forks and ugly brownish-gum colored sidewalls. I'll definitely change those to WW. All it needs is some air in the tires and a good cleaning to be a rider. Too nice to Rat this one.

My wife spotted a Huffy Women's at the curb waiting for trash pickup. We asked the owner about it and he said we were free to take it. It's turquoise with white accents and WW tires. This one is also ready to roll with a cleanup and some air in the tires. I'm already envisioning a build on this one.

Both of these are on hold for now. My high tech "Paint Rack" (ladders with a long 2 X 4 spanned across them) may have to chill for a while. We have an 18 month old daughter + the wife has a "bun in the oven" that's due in September. No riding for her this summer.

Being married and having children puts a significant limitation on my wrenching time. It's amazing how you pull it off being a single parent with a couple of kids. Props to you !

Resto

Back