"Plan B": Board track inspired bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,
This is my first attempt at building a board track inspired bike. My original bike got stolen so I had this frame lying around as a plan b project, hence the name. It's an early sixties AMC Caravan. I had a hard time finding parts like a rod-n-truss fork, bent seat post and polished seat, so I made my own. The rod-n-truss is made from a one inch oversized washer and 1/4in. aluminum rods that were cut and bent to the desired curve. I attached the rods with electrical terminal connectors. for the seat post, I used a steel rod, bent it in a vise and polished it up. The seat had a faded green/white nylon like cover along with a green undercarraige. I just used the good ol' neumatic wire brush to clean the seat up to the look I wanted. I rims were rattle can painted a flat black and I put brown Quick Brick Balloon tires on.

The bike rides great and look awesome as a piece of furniture in my apartment.

Thanks everyone for your own bikes and I look forward to my next build, I'm hooked
-Kevin-

click on image to zoom in

good job on the home made truss. i was thinking of doing something similar recently, but then found one for sale. bike has a great look.

Cman and others, Thanks for the comment! I started with a 7/8th steel rod but had to grind it down a bit to fit the seat tube. The original seat post is a really wierd/off size.

Your seatpost is probably 13/16" like a lot of others of the time. I may have to borrow that idea as I like laid back seatpost and I hate the little clamp areas on the tops of the old seat post.

I love this style of bikes! I've got an exspensive race bike i havent touched in months because of vintage bikes like this. Im building a schwinn black phantom similar to something like this and a zero engineering samurai bike, I'll post pics soon. Again great bike, wish you the best with it.

Back