Pista

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in the market for a new - or new to me road bike, my choices are to

1) keep my current bike and build a single speed also
2) turn my current bike into a single speed and buy a 77 Schwinn Volare
3) keep my current bike and buy a new Bianchi Pista

Only choice number one is significantly less money.

jmagrauder10 gota Pista this spring, man is it nice. I've been thinking about getting this old Schwinn Volare, but it's $625 and a brand new Bianchi is $750 or so, plus the flip-flop wheel I would want for the rear, as I'm not going to ride it fixed right of the bat, maybe ever.

I already have a road-bike, but somehting tells me I would ride this more. I'm torn over buying a new bike, ethically. I haven't bought a new bike since 1992 and am not so much an advocate of it...that being said, I can be a hyprocrite when it comes to shiny things sometimes...

bianchipista.jpg

bianchi_pista.jpg

OR
19.jpg

Maybe they're starting to see the limited practicality of fixies? Not that I think they're bad, but they're not for everyone...

Here's another option Skoda - call all the local shops in your area and see if they have any used track bikes. I know of several in my area, and I've seen a few sweet deals (under $300...) on real track bikes - not converted road bikes.

Good luck either way and try to get us some pics!

I vote for the old Schwinn! But, what components are on it, for that price they better be nice. Some Vintage Campy!?

Upon a second look, those dont appear to be Campy at all, That said, I vote #1

Bunbury said:
Maybe they're starting to see the limited practicality of fixies? Not that I think they're bad, but they're not for everyone...

Here's another option Skoda - call all the local shops in your area and see if they have any used track bikes. I know of several in my area, and I've seen a few sweet deals (under $300...) on real track bikes - not converted road bikes.

Good luck either way and try to get us some pics!

Good grief, I wish that was the case here, not in Kansas City.

That's the real draw on the Pista, it's a real track geometry, pretty well reviewed, relatively inexpensive :roll: package bike. It would be nice if we had a bunch of these being dumped these barely used and cheap, or any track bikes period.

The Volare in town is all Dura Ace, it's a little different than the one pictured, from what I've been able to tell, the price isn't too far off at $625 for a bike that's a grade under a Paramount and ready to roll. I'm not sure for my use, it's much better than what I've got. The Pista would be more fun I think. I appreciate the input alot, road bikes aren't my area of expertise at all.

66olds98 said:
I vote for the old Schwinn! But, what components are on it, for that price they better be nice. Some Vintage Campy!?

Dura-Ace. I think the sum of the parts on it are worth the $625, I'm leaning away from it though.

Well, if your going to get a Road Bike, you want to get something nice. It's hard to be Swift and Speedy on a 35+lb Varsity!

66olds98 said:
Well, if your going to get a Road Bike, you want to get something nice. It's hard to be Swift and Speedy on a 35+lb Varsity!

It might not be "light" but it's no Varsity, I'll actually admit also, I'd be getting the Volare because I like it, not because it's a good value. Again, input appreciated mucho alot.
:D

Either convert or buy something from bikesdirect.
Especially if you haven;t ridden fixed a whole lot before this, I'd try a conversion first.

the bianchi doesn't have brakes. so you'd need to buy some
the bianchi may not even be drilled for brakes, so you may need to get a drill to a new (lightweight) bike
the bianchi, as you say, would need a flipflop hub so you can ride singlespeed. not quite, a freewheel will screw strait onto a fixed hub.
the bianchi, i think, is made in taiwan or similar. now, it would be racist & wrong to suggest that taiwanese people can't make good bikes, but it doesn't appeal to the snob in me.

the schwinn is not going to depreciate like a new bike would
the schwinn could always be made to single speed, fixed or even hubgeared easily enough
the schwinn, you may be able to haggle the price down better than a new bike

if the shcwinn was made of a quality steel and was in good condition, then personally, i'd get that

The Bianchi will accept a front brake as-is I know. I've ridden fixed before but not for any siginificant distance.

They’re both sweet bikes, but if it were my money, I’d go with the Bianchi. Bianchi lists it at under $600 on their website so it’s probably worth shopping around a bit.

The Schwinn is classic, but for $625, there are a few things I’d consider: What size wheels are on the Schwinn? If it’s rolling on 27” rims versus 700C, your choice of tires is very limited. Any hidden issues with the frame? Any cracks or damage? Repaint? Is it ALL Dura Ace or maybe just the drive train?

Don’t get me wrong, I really love classic road bikes, but for a bike you’re going to put some miles on, buying new is not to be underestimated.

As for depreciation, when it comes to bikes I use regularly it’s not something I concern myself with. The value comes from the miles I put on them, not from how much I can re-sell it for. And it’s not like a Bianchi Pista is white elephant come resale time. Bianchi is one of the great Italian marques after all.

The Bowery by Giant is another bike worth considering. They come factory equipped with a flip-flop hub, front & rear brakes plus the geometry is reasonably track bike-ish. They sell for about $500 where I live.

BTW – What is your current road bike?

-Mp

Depreciation isn't even factoring in, I don't care about what it will re-sell for - at all.

The Volare is original, all Dura-Ace everything, but, I've basically decided on the Bianchi.

My current bike is a 75 Sekai 1500 Concourse, all Suntour components and Dia-Compe brakes, pretty run of the mill Japanese, but that's what I've always had, Fuji, Panasonic, etc.

Good decision, I'm sure you'll have fun on it. A buddy of mine does around 20 miles daily on a Surly Steamroller and has said that he prefers it to his $3000+ carbon Look.

For what it's worth, if you're patient you can probably find a good deal on a high end road bike to augment the Pista. I've found some amazing deals at garage sales and pawn shops, it seems like road bikes are undervalued compared to MTBs...

I think a converted road bike is a better choice for most riders. A real track bike is upright and stiff. Some track bikes don't have the fork drilled for a brake. On some track bikes, the front tire can hit the toe clip. Reguardless of what kind of bike you use as a fixed gear, gear it lower than most of the hipsters are doing!

Back