Pierce bicycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my grandfathers old bike, and my dads too. Grandpa's is a Pierce and dad's is an Elgin. What can anyone tell me about these company's. I am guessing they are both from the 30's, but could be wrong.
Thanks

So I did a little google search and I found out that my Pierce bicycle was made by the George N. Pierce that made Pierce Arrow cars. Thats cool because grandpa had one of those way back in the 20's also. I could not find out how late they made the bikes though but it looks like it may be older than I thought.

Pictures would help the best. The Elgin name was used from the early 20s until WWII.. a few 1945-46 bikes have turned up with the Elgin badge, probably as leftover stock but Sears switched to the JC Higgins badging after the war. I don't know how late Pierce bicycles were made but I don't feel like I've seen any after the early-30s.

But again, pictures would be the best way we can help. Also, you may have better luck with something this old on the Cabe forum; the focus on there is more geared towards original and antique bicycles and there are some extremely knowledgeable guys on there. http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/forum.php

Thanks for the advise. The Pierce is probably from the 20's. Grandpa was born in 1898 so there is a lot of time he could have bought it. Dad is from 1930 so his Elgin may be an early 40's. Its a full size diamond from bike, not a kids bike so I am guessing he was a teen when he got it. Picture could take some doing, the bikes are in terrible storage for pics.

Minor update, I dragged home the Elgin yesterday from my parents basement. I straightened the bent forks that where the reason it was taken apart many years ago. Dad hit a stopped car! Ouch. Now its just clean it up and find tires for it.

Back