Pics of the Roth Rattle Bomb Flake and Kandy in action.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some of the roth Rattle Bomb in Cherry Pie Red and the Kandy rattle bomb in the same color. They have a basecoat too but I forgot to order it, so I used the duplicolor metelspecks red for the base coat. I have never used flake before but it laid down nice and smooth. For some reason I was thinking I was going to be able to se the flake coming out, but its so small you cant really see it coming out of the tip. It was a little colder then it should have been when i put the flake on so it fogged up a little in spots. Out of 1 12oz can i got about 3 good coats on each side of a columbia straight tank.
The kandy went on really nice, and it got about 3 good coats out of the 12oz can too. I used the 2 part clear in a can, its the one that you hit the bottom of the can to release the hardener and you only have 24 hours to use it or else it will harden in the can. Its about 71 degrees outside so the clear cured in about 4-5 min per coat. This was not really cheap, $20 for the can of flake, $20 for the can of Kandy, and $20 for the clear, but it was totally worth it. Im not the greatest painter but it came out better then anything I have ever done. The pics dont do it justice. The flake coverage is awsome and really sparkles in the sun. So if your on the fence about using this product, I say go for it. Just make sure you use it in temps above 70. I kept the pics kinda big so you can see it a little better.

Thanks

Jason
xc3qmd.jpg

8yur80.jpg

heres the link to the stuff
http://www.rothmetalflake.com/flakes.html

Looks good!! :)

I can't seem to get my head around the actual steps for this process. Here's my half-brained thought process:

1) you lay down a base coat of some solid color, which I'm not sure matters what color it is, since it'll be followed by the actual 'metal' flakes which should cover tha base coat, no?

2) spary on the flakes, which are carried by some kinda clear binder?

3) lay down the tint color you want (ie, candy) If you want candy apple flake, you lay down candy red., etc.

4) clear it til the surface is smooth and you don't feel the metal flakes.

Does this make sense?

Spin

Hey Skills it looks great. Nice to here you had good results. I was kicking around buying the Roth gold color but was on the fence about price vs. results. Now I'm sold. How about a pic of the whole frame?
Spokes

KJV said:
1.base;silver,or gold.
2.candy red.
3.metal flake.
4.clear coat.

unless you want colored flakes then one coat of candy goes over the metal flake... and I've used different base colors too, white looks great under blue and yellow under green is cool too, I haven't tried any others tho... :roll:

I call this being the future trend in rat rod building! A ton of people including myself have wondered about this stuff but didn't want to spend the bucks to try it. Thanks for sharing!

:wink:
Tyler

1.base;silver,or gold.
2.candy red.
3.metal flake.
4.clear coat.

I diddnt know that, I did

Base Red
Flake
Kandy
Clear

and spinman, thats pretty much what I did, but since I put the kandy on after the flake you couldnt feel the flake. Its such a small flake that I dont think you can feel it anyways.

I diddnt paint the frame with the stuff, just the tank. Now I need to get it striped :)

Looks great, and I hope more people will use it, but I can't fork out $60 for 1 time use rattle can. I'm not judging you, I'm just cheap. haha

Here's my plan for candy.

1. primer (any color flat)
2. lay on color (any color gloss)
3. throw a handful of your favorite glitter over the wet color coat
4. follow with multiple coats of clear

Looks like about $10 or less... and the quality will show it. haha

you can actually get the metal flakes by them self.
we put them in the gun with the paint;color,clear,both. along with a couple marbles to help keep it all stirring.

Do you think this paint will chip easy? Just wondering. Most spray can paint jobs I do usually chip!

And yes I have a can of lil daddy roths metal flake glitter for paint!

Looks good skills.....I'll have to try out the Roth spray bombs. Alsa corp also makes some killer rattle cans. The process for doing a candy flake job is:
1: primer
2: base coat (silver or gold usually)
3: flake
4: candy
5: clear
6: cut and buff

I don't think the paint will chip easily. The 2 part clear seems 10 times better then the rustoleam that I normally use. I think I'm going to use this clear from now on. Out of one can I got about 4 coats on my frame and 3 coats on each side of the tank. Mos def worth the money.

MikeS said:
The process for doing a candy flake job is:
1: primer
2: base coat (silver or gold usually)
3: flake
4: candy
5: clear
6: cut and buff
thats it dead on the head mike. its just a 3 stage just like most of the newer pearls.......sealer,base,mid-coat(in this case that would be the candy instead of pearl),clear,and then cutnbuff.
although for the price its not much cheaper than using a mid quality paint system (omni,shopline,matrix,etc) out of a gun....

That finish does look nice, skills. But how many cans would it take to do the entire frame?The two part spray is interesting to me. Most laquer in a spray can chips and is weak because of the amount of thinner needed for it to a)not harden in the can b)to escape through the nozzle. Same for acrylics, but I think acrylic uses even more thinner. I have had good results with Duplicolor clear and metal-flake clear. But it is in a quart paint can, not a spray can. I would like to had a bit of hardener to this kind, but I am not sure how much to add since it is "ready to spray". Duplicolor has a few colors that come in the quart cans. I have thought of buying one can of each at $22 a pop so I can mix colors, add metal flake , pearl, etc. But it would only be worth it if I could make the finish stronger by adding hardener. Does anybody have experience with these or ideas? Thanks

If anyone was wondering about adding hardener to laquer-based paints, I found a product manufactured by SEM, called "Hardener and Gloss Enhancer". Haven't tried it yet, but apparently you add 1 part to 8 parts paint. I am going to try it in the Duplicolor clearcoat. I'll post the results.

The tank looks great! That paint would look awesome on a future build that I have in mind - something along the lines of a Schwinn cantilever frame with ape hangers and a big slick out back.

Back