Pedals forward, Coasts, Pedals Backward

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can do that with my Sting-Ray...maybe not :lol:

Like Chris Angel Mind freak of the bike world :shock: That is sweet, looks like fun but I'd probably get hurt.........Wait................ DEFINITELY get hurt.... :mrgreen:

I don't think hes actually pedaling backwards.. the cranks turn by themselves when you back up.. :roll:

scrumblero,

I sure don't know anything about those bikes or that world of trick riding, but I'm puzzled,
as when he pedals backwards, the bike goes backwards like a fixie. Yet, he coasts a lot in the film.

Lots of stuff I don't know about! :D :wink:

when your coasting backwards the pedals still turn, you gotta move your feet with them or pull em up outa the way....

I watch this video over & over, I don't if he's pedaling backwards and coasting forwards or not. But if he is does he have a coaster hub and no brake arm, he can coast forward & padel backward without braking but the hub starts to padel backwards.

If you padel a coaster brake backwards without a brake arm the brake expands but won't stop you, because there's not arm to stop the hub from go backward. So this allows you to padel backwards and coast when going forwards.

No need to over think this. Coaster hubs can coast backwards, but ratchet type freewheels can't, therefore he pedals backward whenever the bike goes backward. If coaster brake internals are in place but no brake arm, your hub will unscrew.

What those guys need is a "switch-fixie" hub,,,, one that is a freewheel normally, but that works like a fixie when you pull a trigger.... :|
~

deorman said:
No need to over think this. Coaster hubs can coast backwards, but ratchet type freewheels can't, therefore he pedals backward whenever the bike goes backward. If coaster brake internals are in place but no brake arm, your hub will unscrew.

deorman is right

watch a few bmx vids and youll begin to notice the difference between the guys with freewheel hubs from the guys with freecoaster hubs.

freewheel hubs - the rear sprocket freewheels on the hub

freecoaster hubs - the hub freewheels

Yes, he is not pedalling backwards with any force - just moving his feet with the cranks as they turn that way when you roll backwards. It's a pretty standard thing you learn to do for trials riding.

That guy is an insanely good trials/freerider.

Back