PayPal as a gift

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They use to let you send money as a gift and they didn't charge a fee. Now they charge the sender the fee. Now that is all well and fine. If I sell you something for $20 and you pay with paypal then I get the full $20. Somebody need to check, because I think if you say its a gift then you don't get the security of Paypal covering your purchase.

I would never use paypal as a gift if you are unfamiliar with the recipient in the transaction. You do not have any recourse if the deal goes bad. With that said there are many of us on here who deal on a regular basis and do it as a favor to each other. I used to ask people to do it but quit.....I felt it made people feel uncomfortable with the deal. I truly appreciate those that do though :mrgreen:

paypal WILL NOT protect ANY sale that is sold OFF ebay, they are tied together. The only time a buyer gets a fee charged is if they use their credit card instead of money that is in a paypal account. So GIFT away, it does not effect anything

Paypal forced me to stop accepting PayPal Gift payments because it is against their rules to receive gift payments for goods or services.

KZ1000 said:
paypal WILL NOT protect ANY sale that is sold OFF ebay, they are tied together. The only time a buyer gets a fee charged is if they use their credit card instead of money that is in a paypal account. So GIFT away, it does not effect anything

Not sure where you got this info... link?? Paypal does provide protection on any transaction:

https://www.paypal-marketing.co.uk/safe ... ffEbay.htm

Eligibility Requirements
Claims can only be made for physical goods that can be posted and are not prohibited Buyers must raise a dispute within 45 days of a single PayPal payment for the full price of the item. If no satisfactory response is received from the seller, a claim must be filed within 20 days of raising the dispute
Buyers cannot make multiple claims on the same payment
Other eligibility requirements apply. See terms and conditions

ABOVE PARAGRAPH WAS COPIED FROM PAYPAL SITE

I had a claim against me and I tried making a claim, Both were denied because item was not purchased on ebay

All I know is that if the seller specifies "Paypal as gift," from now on, I'm less likely to do it. I've done it once, on this site, and I was annoyed when at the end, I had to pay an additional few bucks. Now with this news, if correct, that I'm not protected? That was $83 with no guarantee. Yikes. After seeing that I have to pay as the buyer, I just told myself that when they specify to send as gift, I'll probably click the backspace, and wait for someone else to sell the item.

May have to get a clarification on this , because I have recently bought a bunch of Motorcycle parts from vendors online and not from ebay. One never shipped my part and Paypal took the complaint and got my money back. Not sure how it goes at this point. I was under the impression if you did a gift they figured you were just sending money and they didn't cover the transaction at all, other than to send the money.

I think you are correct, any money sent as a "gift" is just that in pay pal's eyes. No recourse whatsoever.

I always felt as a seller... accepting paypal (and the associated fee) is just the cost of doing business, YES the fees pretty much suck, but what can you do?

I also feel like if you ask the buyer to pay the fee, it severely limits your ability to sell the part.

One thing that I think people do not know about paypal... if you maintain a balance in your account, and you go to buy something... and if the balance will cover it entirely, then there is NO fee to send the money, or to receive it. but if you buy a $20 part and you only have $19 in your account, then they will ding you for the full fee if you pay that $1 on your credit card.

I deal with several on here close by and we send money back and forth as a gift often.......I've never been charged a fee when sending money as a gift with any of these transactions.....EVER!

Note: I do know when the money is sent as a gift and is funded by a credit card there is a fee to the sender.

Note: When you send money as a gift from a connected checking account (the one thats connected to your paypal account) or your Paypal balance if you have one, there is no fee to the sender.

And Paypal does protect you on transactions outside of Ebay.......alot of it depends on what the complaint is as far as protection. They do not protect "gift" transactions.........know your seller.

I've made a 1000 plus transactions on Paypal and never had an issue on how they do business.

I pay all my transactions to sellers on RAT ROD BIKES as a gift. THIS SITE IS FANTASTIC AS FAR AS SELF POLICING. I'd never dream of the gift payment on other sites I deal on.

To correct what I said earlier, Paypal will only protect you if you buy thru ebay or any other similar online store that accepts paypal, It is when you do a private deal like we all do on here, there is no prtection whatsoever, it does not matter whether it is paid as gift or not, it is one word against another with no way for Paypal to investigate.

KZ1000 said:
To correct what I said earlier, Paypal will only protect you if you buy thru ebay or any other similar online store that accepts paypal, It is when you do a private deal like we all do on here, there is no prtection whatsoever, it does not matter whether it is paid as gift or not, it is one word against another with no way for Paypal to investigate.

If you buy a bike from me and pay me normally through Paypal (not as a gift), even though it isn't through Ebay ( we do the transaction on here) and you do not receive your item.....Paypal will help you. They will see I received payment and make me prove I mailed it (save your postal receipts) to your zip. Until I prove it they will freeze the selling amount (from you) in my account. They will require me to enter a Tracking #(like Fed-Ex or UPS use) or a confirmation # (like the post office uses). Once I've entered that # and tracking shows it's delivered they will release the funds. They will also step in if it's not as advertised.....I've done both of these personally. They will help.

Buyers remorse isn't a good excuse :mrgreen:

Jeez people, if it's that big of a deal, just add the percentage to the price or chalk it up to doing business. I personally won't buy from anyone, including here on RatRodBikes, demanding funds be sent as a gift. Make the item $6 instead of $5 (for example) if you are that worried about it. I seriously doubt margins are that thin on any product, new or used. It they are, you are doing it wrong.

I don't know why but this grates at me like nails on a chalkboard! :x

hmmm, they must have changed the rules then?

I know for a fact that they covered transactions outside of ebay.... im thinking 6-9 months ago because I had a dispute outside of ebay, that went thru just fine.

If the seller wants it sent as a gift and I don't feel comfortable with it, I just offer to send the difference. Also, if the money is coming from your paypal account or a connected bank account it will not charge you a fee to send as a gift. If you use a credit card it will charge you the fee. I tend to only send as a gift if it is someone I've dealt with before or if the cost of the item is cheap. With cheaper items the fee is not going to be much, so I don't mind. Like stated above, it's just the cost of doing business. Then again I don't do much selling, so the little fees when I do sell something aren't really a bother.

Ratfink1962 said:
hmmm, they must have changed the rules then?

I know for a fact that they covered transactions outside of ebay.... im thinking 6-9 months ago because I had a dispute outside of ebay, that went thru just fine.
No Changes if you send money as a gift. it's just that!..A gift. they are not expecting something to be sent.. like stated above only send it as a gift if you trust the seller.. Another thing to remember if you use P/P to print out a shipping lable, if you send it as a gift you loose that opption. I would rather pay the fees and use them to print out the shipping lable then to have to pay more in shipping and have to make a trip to the post office!..

Back