PARTS,GIRLS SCHWINE and a PANDA???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Here is my NEWest haul....actually donated w/ a trade for some early chopper/bobber bars...

A Bounty of treasure.....AAARRRRGGGHHHH......

Last edited:
Yes, I like those slants stems they hold the fatter bars :cool2:
Anybody heard of Panda 20" bikes:confused:

Looks like a mid to late 1950's seat post clamp on the peachy-orange pig bike.

20" frame, is that a baby Corvette? I found a 24" 1955 girls corvette with the same chainguard. Apparently very, very rare, nobody ever seen a covette with that chaingaurd before. It's got the frame and fork set up for one too.

A 20" pig corvette would be mucho interesting. Looks like undercoating is white too. The rarest most sought after color for a 26 boy's corevette. Mine had been painted twice and used some nail polish remover to discover the remaining Corvette decal under it.

title pun: "PARTS,GIRLS SCHWINE and a PANDA???"

Last edited:
The Schwinn has a clip frame so it could have been set up with hand brakes. Is the fork drilled for hand brakes as well? Don't know if they made a 20" Corvette but I don't think so. Gary

Love the Matthews stem.
Panda was an early BMX company. And yours looks like an early one. Would love to have that too.
Nice bunch of stuff.

Is the fork drilled for hand brakes as well?

Yup that fork is drilled. Heck it's worth a shot pealing the paint back on that chainguard. That seat looks like it could be a 1957-8.

Here's the same chainguard I discovered on a 1955 24" girls corvette.
It took some doing to reveal the label and with so little left on it. This Guard had been painted twice over. originaly Opal Red, sun faded too almost gold, then sanded, primered red and sprayed white, and then somebody house brushed it white.. I out-lined what's left to help see it. At far left, The Schwinn 'S', to the right, a few parts of the T's, the last 'e' and the dart line that crosses the T's. There's only one Schwinn with an line ending with a dart that crosses the T's, Schwinn's early, first version of the Corvette:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Sweet score!
Love the Girvin fork!

Where oh where is that Panda???
I know a little about them; distributed by Santa Cruz skateboard company in the 1990s, american made but I don't remember who, besides panda.
Couple friends were fans, I have no idea about collecting intrest or value.

Not tough to find info on. Just google: "panda bicycle" it's on the 1st page of hit returns But your frame isn't listed.. The sprocket apears in 1979 though.

1_copy429_lg.jpg

The frame apears through 1978. It's not listed but the models in 1979 have a different pattern at the head post bars. I.E. the one in the photo; 1979 is the year they changed it.

So, it could be a 1978 model.

Panda (1975 - 1985) http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/panda/

Looks like a category for BMX bike collectors. I'd say by the looks of your frame and the fork, with the exception of those rusty rims, you've got their super heavy duty model.

Last edited:
Opps it only took one more set inside of goggle: "Panda BMX" and here it is:

panda_001.jpg

panda_010.jpg

Maybe those rims are talking because the panda had heavier, plus a multi speed sprocket so they could change the size sprocket by just sliding the rear rim back or forth, for different terrains. And the guy who built this says, that frame is their first.

"
"Hello everybody, I'm the owner and designer of the first Panda bikes from 1973 to 1975. I highered Busby and Dave Scott for or first race team.
Panda was first to have the freewheel, screw in bearing cups, drum brakes, 120 guage spokes, raise letter knobbes, anodized hand brakes, hydrolic shocks, gold chain, standered 1/4 inch automotive ball bearing, and I think thats it.
The 3 gears in the rear axle is so that Busby could change gears in one minute dependind on track conditions, like hills or flat grass. You could just slide the axle forward or back. I thought this was a good idea.
Randell, Panda Bike owner"

link: http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index.php?showtopic=1024213.

Last edited:
Opps it only took one more set inside of goggle: "Panda BMX" and here it is:

panda_001.jpg

panda_010.jpg

Maybe those rims are talking because the panda had heavier, plus a multi speed sprocket so they could change the size sprocket by just sliding the rear rim back or forth, for different terrains. And the guy who built this says, that frame is their first.

"
"Hello everybody, I'm the owner and designer of the first Panda bikes from 1973 to 1975. I highered Busby and Dave Scott for or first race team.
Panda was first to have the freewheel, screw in bearing cups, drum brakes, 120 guage spokes, raise letter knobbes, anodized hand brakes, hydrolic shocks, gold chain, standered 1/4 inch automotive ball bearing, and I think thats it.
The 3 gears in the rear axle is so that Busby could change gears in one minute dependind on track conditions, like hills or flat grass. You could just slide the axle forward or back. I thought this was a good idea.
Randell, Panda Bike owner"

link: http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index.php?showtopic=1024213.

----- :eek:Wow cool, I was just reading this, after google "Panda BMX bicycle images " and clicked on view page

If it's made in USA, I wonder why they picked an obviously chi-com name? When I saw "Panda" in the title I thought China for sure. Oops! Gary

----- :eek:Wow cool, I was just reading this, after google "Panda BMX bicycle images " and clicked on view page

Humm, it might have been that first frame that crunched em from the get go..

Keep looking the net and there's a magazine cover photo and their rider; Busby, looks like he's in 3rd place, on that type of bike, about to jump a ramp. .. tink I searched "Busby BMX" and saw it.

[iimg]http://www.bmxsociety.com/uploads/monthly_11_2011/post-3079-132060939978_thumb.jpg[/img]

Good enough to run the 3rd, at least in the photo, but they quickly learned, on your new found treasure, heavier wasn't better.

Now ya can go and peal off the paint with some nail polish remover on chain gaurd of that orangeish-peach pig bike. lol.

More on the girls 20"
1954??
I did not find anything under the orange paint

there is this tiny hole looks drilled, did something screw in here??

Here is a shot of the Panda pedal arms

More on the girls 20"
1954??
I did not find anything under the orange paint

there is this tiny hole looks drilled, did something screw in here??

It looks like white under the paint, and when you're taking off a coat you've got to be careful that you don't wipe off the decals at the same time. That's why, on the photo I showed above, not all the over painting is washed off. As I uncovered it, the decals also began fading off.

The hole in that bar doesn't look professional or machined. Somebody drilled it to mount something for whatever reason.

Can't tell for sure on that chaingaurd, if it's white but looks so, and there's a lot of white spots on the frame under that peach.

Don't believe Schwinn made an orange Juvinelle model in 1954. I don't know of one that's white then too, nor is there much about one that had those fender mounts like it. It's curious as that frame could be set up for hand brakes on front and rear just like the corvette. maybe even a juvinelle girls version of a Jaguar, or perhaps a 54 frame but issued in 55 a 20" Americian "F32 F82 20-inch American (coaster brake) 43 43" and white?

Last edited:
Back