Painting

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys (and gals) use masks when spray painting you bikes? Supposedly if you inhale to much paint you can get cancer. I use really cheap paper masks for painting.

thththhhhaats crrrrraazzzzzzzzzzzzzzy,,,,,,,, thhhooooooose ffffuummmmmmmees wwooooooooonnn'''''tt hhuurrrrrttt yyyyyyyyyoooooou :lol:

A cheap paper mask isn't going to protect you from the bad stuff in the paint fumes, all it'll do is keep you from having paint-colored boogies! :lol: I don't paint on a daily basis, so I'm not worried about it. If I worked in a body shop, it'd be a different story.

d.rock said:
A cheap paper mask isn't going to protect you from the bad stuff in the paint fumes, all it'll do is keep you from having paint-colored boogies! :lol: I don't paint on a daily basis, so I'm not worried about it. If I worked in a body shop, it'd be a different story.

X 2 :mrgreen:

I mean the kind that dentists use.

Now that winter is here any painting I do is in my storm cellar. When I am painting in an enclosed space like that I use my cartridge type respirator.
918c063e.jpg
The goggles are not part of the mask.

:mrgreen: fumes be goods for ur brains :mrgreen: i only paint outside and very rarely then i run back inside

dust mask/bandanna/shirt/outside will not cut it.....that keeps dust out thats it.
you want one similar to the one udall posted(although the filters are only good for 20 hours of exposure....that means not just when painting. if theyre sitting out in the air in your house/shop/outside or anywhere near paint they become less effective. keep them in a sealed bag unless its on your face and youre shooting) and they need to be rated for organic vapors.
may be fun to joke about fumes being good but ive worked with some painters thatve gotten really screwed up from exposure and isocyanate poisoning will destroy your nervous system as well as your lungs.
wearing a dust mask to paint is kinda like sticking a paper bag over your hand and then sticking said hand into a septic tank.....looks like it may help but youll find out in the end it wont :wink:

Back