painting rims

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically, it's like painting anything else, know what your working on. If they're aluminum, use self etching primer made for aluminum.
If they're chrome, liquid sandpaper's usefull for getting around the spokes (if you dont want to tear down and re-lace).
Regular steel that has already been painted before, knock off the rust, primer and paint away.
As with all paint jobs, make sure everything's clean and grease free where you want the paint to stick :D
Also keep in mind, theres no point in painting a rim if caliper brakes will be used, paint just wont hold up for long under braking.
Hope that helps,
Rick

im painting mine now, I wanted black spokes / hub .. rim to match the frame..so I found myself sanding the whole rim / spokes .. while laced, i did it soI wont have a hard time lacing the wheel at the end of the day I didnt want to even bother with it. So I painted what I wanted black after sanding it of course..Im in the process of carefully sanding the whole rim now, taping off the spokes, and ill respray to match when the time comes...good luck with yours :D

Get some plastic drinking straws,slit them lengthwise with a single edge razor blade,slip em over the spokes,then paint your rim,you still have to use a little masking tape but this speeds up the job,Herman

Herman said:
Get some plastic drinking straws,slit them lengthwise with a single edge razor blade,slip em over the spokes,then paint your rim,you still have to use a little masking tape but this speeds up the job,Herman
Great tip! Thanks!!

Back