Paint, wheel and fender help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so i decided to pick up a few bikes for cheap, paint em henry ford style (you can have any colour you want as long as its flat black) and sell them. ive bought and sold a few bikes, but im venturing out onto craigslist to drum up some more revenue. my questions are thus:

after ive painted them a nice flat black, how do i keep the .... paint on?? seems like any little brush and it comes right off. bike has been prepped well, sanded and cleaned. i want to keep the flat, can i clear over it with satin? using wal-mart spray cans only. or car parts store.

2nd, i have a bike with the standard coaster brake, bought the rear rim new but whenever you coast, theres a nice squeeking sound. it varies in volume. doesnt happen while pedaling or braking.

lastly, (whew) i have a huffy with 2 problems. #1, the rear fender it came with rubs the wheel no matter what i do. how can i fix that? also, the non drive side (left) pedal is stuck on the bike. i changed the right one since it was broken, but i can not get the other off even after soaking in pb blaster. also, i cant remember which way to turn it when its upside down. do i have to resort to a torch?

thanks all. this site has been a great help!

1.Primer may help.
2.Bendix drive dust cover or bearing cage is probably bent.
3a.Can't see it, have no clue.
3b.Left handed threads, rightside up or upside down.(turn against the brake)
3c.Heating the crank, not the pedal, may help if you're turning the right way, but I doubt it.
4.Introduce yourself to the board, and join the fun!

If they're the correct fenders for it, find where it is rubbing and do one of 3 things: 1. Tighten the fender or braces if it's loose. 2. Adjust the braces if they have extra space where they bolt to the frame, or bend them very slightly, just enough to give clearance. 3. If it's the fender itself rubbing, pull on it to bend it very slightly until it doesn't rub. It shouldn't be noticeable after you're done.

edit: Unless the rear wheel is warped or needs aligned, then it's not the fender.

im not too sure how to post pics yet. when looking at the back wheel from the back, bike in normal riding position, the fender leans left. rims fine, brand new. it just seems to curve left when all hooked up. fenders should be original on the huffy. there is a second hole to mount them, above it and forward of where it is now. wont reach.

the fenders are chrome.. not painting those since i just spent an hour with steel wool/wd-40 cleaning the ......... just the frame. i did use a primer, a few coats. nice burnt red i decided to keep exposed on some parts.

as far as the hub, i have no idea what youre talking about. im working on that tho. been over 4 pages of how toos on here.

for some reason i thought you painted the wheels/fenders
did you sand the frame before you painted it? if not thats probably why its peeling....if you did sand it before paintingits probably the paint youre using

sanded the crap out of everything. nice flapwheel, i think 400 grit. and ive used this paint before. not the primer, ive had better results NOT using it oddly enough.

meh. ill do what i can. they need to make a flat black powder coat!

I have found that if there is any humidity in the air the primer, though sandable takes awhile to dry. I am not talking about a few hours i am taalking a few days. If the primer is soft and you bump the paint it may dent or chip. After some time it seems to harden up. That is my experiance and i am in NO WAY a pro at this.

Nicholas

Back