paint stripping - help me out guys!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RIGHT - ive got steel wool, many types of sandpaper and emery cloth etc but no paint stripper or anything close

the thing im tryin to strip has been painted with these >
- crap

montana-black.jpg
- i like

and
- crap

what i ask is whats the easiest way to strip down that paint, i've spent a few hours sanding and its taking its time and my arm hurts
one thing that needs it is my bike frame (cromo i believe) and my front mag - nylon i think

i tried finding nitromors but it seems theyve replaced it with baby food?

anybody know any industrial stuff thats reletively cheap

also while asking - and some decent lacquer that doesn't chip!

cheers ppl

and sorry bout the random pic sizes

Don't recognize any of the paint cans you have. A good tool for paint removal
is a cheap Harbor Freight 4 1/2'' side grinder , with one of their cheap cup wire wheels.
It will remove anything this side of powder coating. The warning part is wear good eye protection.
This whole setup will run you $26 or so.

i live in uk - would that stuff be shippable to here

if so ill get on it, i got goggles n ....

They may be called angle grinders over there, that is what they are called here. I use one all the time to remove paint and powdercoat, mine has no problems with powdercoat but then again I use a 1200watt, 240volt high speed five inch with a twisted wire cup, a bit more heavy duty... Total cost including grinder about $75. A 4 inch grinder with a standard wire cup would run me about $45 here...

I would not got near your nylon rims with one though, it will rip it up quick smart! Not sure what to use there, I imagine most chemical strippers would eat the nylon too... :|

Luke.

P.S. Uncle Stretch is right about goggles, a long, thick shirt I would also recommend, sometimes a wire from the wheel will shoot off, I pick them out of my overalls all the time. Better to pick them out of your clothes than your skin... Same reason maybe use a face shield/helmet rather than goggles if you have them.

cheers for ur info - i must invest in a decent angle grinder that will save me alot of hassle

as for the nylon rims, still no idea

i also want that aircraft stripper but they dont ship to the uk ARG

its aparently got something thats illegal over here in it aswell

Aren't those mag wheels made from dyed and molded nylon? Unless you were to paint them, I don't think you can change the color. Unless they've already been painted and that's what you're trying to get off... :shock:

Im a bit of a chemical wizard so I usually mix a few things together >:3. I take some Industrial strength Graffitti remover, Ajax (powder), and some paint thinner, and SAFELY mix them together in a deep bucket, I then take a paint brush or a rag and baist it on the frame or soak the parts in the bucket (For a day) then I scotch brite pad the crap out of it. usually takes about 30 plus minutes pending on what it is your removing paint from

feeblington said:
cheers for ur info - i must invest in a decent angle grinder that will save me alot of hassle

as for the nylon rims, still no idea

i also want that aircraft stripper but they dont ship to the uk ARG

its aparently got something thats illegal over here in it aswell
check for jasco paint stripper

Ive stripped a plastic mag wheel that was painted. I started by just scratching the paint off with my finger nails. Then a broken hacksaw blade, that had the teeth ground off, Its springy steel and can be used to wrap around bike frame tubes a little bit, to scratch off the paint from them.
I have also used scouring pads. Brillo pads that are steel wool with soap on them. they can remove spray paint, but take a while. I find the stainless steel scouring pads are better. Especially after a little use, as they are initally soft, but scrunch up a bit and get a harder edge.

You might google the Raleigh Burner BMX sites. As they go on about refinishing mag wheels.

cheers for all ur help guys

gunna get some jasco paint stripper and ajax and go bloody mad!

when i get round to finding a decent bucket and get it going ill shuv sum piccys up

cheers ppl!

LukeTheJoker said:
They may be called angle grinders over there, that is what they are called here. I use one all the time to remove paint and powdercoat, mine has no problems with powdercoat but then again I use a 1200watt, 240volt high speed five inch with a twisted wire cup, a bit more heavy duty... Total cost including grinder about $75. A 4 inch grinder with a standard wire cup would run me about $45 here...

I would not got near your nylon rims with one though, it will rip it up quick smart! Not sure what to use there, I imagine most chemical strippers would eat the nylon too... :|

Luke.

P.S. Uncle Stretch is right about goggles, a long, thick shirt I would also recommend, sometimes a wire from the wheel will shoot off, I pick them out of my overalls all the time. Better to pick them out of your clothes than your skin... Same reason maybe use a face shield/helmet rather than goggles if you have them.
a leather welders apron works real well also, and can be got for around 20 bucks. the wire wheels work great and can be used in a drill for frames and a drill press for smaller parts. always remember safety first!

Back