ORANGE DX STRAND CRUISER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I had this old Schwnn DX frame that someone had tried to create a fauxtina effect on....it wasn't pretty. I also recently picked up a set of Schwinn Sidewinder forks that I wanted to use on a build. Bought a wheel set off of @ind-chuckz and decided I would make this DX a strand cruiser.

Initially I thought about having the frame powder coated out of laziness, but the weather was nice over the weekend and I had a new wire brush cup sitting around so I decided to strip the frame down myself.

schwinndx_007.jpg

So after about 30 minutes of paint flying fun I ended up with a bare frame...

schwinndx_008.jpg

Then I primed it and painted it with some Valspar rattle can orange from Lowes....

schwinndx_010.jpg

schwinndx_009.jpg

So after the paint was all done and dried I built the bike up and got it dialed in like I wanted. About the only thing I will change is the rear cog. Need to go down to either an 18 or 16 tooth. My painting isn't the greatest, but it will do for this build. It's a very smooth riding simple machine. I even dug up an old RRB brass headbadge from 2013 that seemed to go perfect on this build.

schwinndx_006.jpg

schwinndx_005.jpg

schwinndx_007.jpg

schwinndx_003.jpg

schwinndx_004.jpg

Very nice bike ! I remember your saying you were going to powder coat it . I didn’t realize you went old school rattle can on it mr clean , came out sick .That head badge looks great on there . I could use one if there are any left in the vault .[emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That head badge looks great on there . I could use one if there are any left in the vault .

Only one I had left...and ironically I had painted it orange several years ago. :bigsmile:

Used oven cleaner to strip it off and then I polished it out.

Only one I had left...and ironically I had painted it orange several years ago. :bigsmile:

Used oven cleaner to strip it off and then I polished it out.

Sneaky ,,, & I guess it’s who ya know on them badges lol [emoji1303]

Love it! I’ve been wanting to do an orange bike for a long time. My last Elgin was headed that way but settled on orange wheels.

Love the orange! Don't see that cool color much. Really makes the frame stand out..

I like the orange too as it is similar to my daily ride. Always wanted 1986 Stumpjumper Sport in orange too.

Nice clean build. Any plans for more annodized?

Latest posts

Back