Opinions needed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am basically & pretty much psychic

those goofy VO bars do look nice. run them on a SS bike with a coasterbrake...

Here's what I have so far
null-6.jpg

I'm amazed how light this bike is compared to my Schwinn Conti.

Nice. Looks good; cranks will add some weight...

I'm amazed that you're amazed; almost every bike is light compared to a Continental. :mrgreen:

Thxcuz said:
Except a varsity.
I'm just so used to my tank it will be weird riding a lighter bike.
Oh so true! I just went from a 51 pound cruiser to a 24 pound single speeder, man is it responsive!

I'm hoping for the same result. However I'm wondering if the 32 tooth chain ring is too low a gearing for a nexus 3 speed hub. I usually run on the center ring on my Conti (I put a triple on it). It's a little hilly around these parts too so I hope I made the right choice.

Thxcuz said:
I'm hoping for the same result. However I'm wondering if the 32 tooth chain ring is too low a gearing for a nexus 3 speed hub. I usually run on the center ring on my Conti (I put a triple on it). It's a little hilly around these parts too so I hope I made the right choice.

I think it'll look weird, but you can make do. Just use a 16 or 15t in the back. Generally, unless you have an IGH with all overdrive gears (most kickbacks, Sturmey 8speed), you don't want to go lower than a 2:1 ratio, as it's too much torque for the underdrive planets. Also, you'll be spinning pretty danged fast. Strap a 15t on there, and you'll be fne.

Hope so, this project was supposed to be fast and cheap. Also, I found my bellcrank won't stay on. I guess the bolt is stripped.
It's never easy

according to Harris Cyclery, 16 is as small as you can go with a nexus hub. I think I have a 16 in my parts box, though it could be an 18. If not, there are tons of bike shops in my town. Someone's got to have a 16. I guess it is easier to find and a lot less expensive than short cranks with a bigger chainring.

Apparently the cogs aren't as universal as I thought. I went to my LBS and got a 16 tooth and it didn't fit. It looked like it would but it was too small. I found the 18 tooth I was looking for and it fit. That'll work for now. Now to re-tap the bellcrank since its stripped and get some pedals and I'm on my way
null-7.jpg

It's done and it rides great. 16x32 would have been better but I am happy with 18 in the back.
Seems pretty zippy for a 3 speed
null-10.jpg
null-9.jpg
null-8.jpg

Thanks for all the help

Back