Open Season on Pheasents.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a couple of rainy day roosters today. Fred and I were the only ones out there.

P1012529.jpg

deorman said:
Is that dog just a finder, or double duty? :|

No, he makes me cook em'. lol

P1012530.jpg

He was retreving well last year but he's seems to have slacked off this year. He comes on 2 whistle blasts (usually) and whoas on 1 (usually). He'll hunt where I point if he see's me give the command. Unless he's on a strong scent then all bets are off.

He'll hold a solid point as long as the bird doesn't flush or try to run. There have been times when he's found birds in such heavy cover or in swamps where it's taken quite a few minutes for me to get out to flush the bird.

I hunt him with bells because I think its more sporting when the bells have stopped but you can't see the dog in the thick cover. Head in to where you last heard him! It's very exciting when you finally spot him. Now you try to find the bird, I usually look at the dog's eyes to see where he's looking. Then I always flush the bird at an angle where the dog can see me, never from behind.

Were working on steady to wing and shot but it's hard training/hunting on state land in Ct. Not a lot of birds. Thinking of raising some quail.

I love bird hunting.

cman said:
Gut a deer? No way. Fillet off the quarters. Cut out the backstraps, trim the ribs and neck, then peel up the tailbone and get the tenderloins. Leave the ponch(guts) for the birds and coyotes to open up. Anything but rabbits. I hate cleaning those suckers.

I wish I could do mine that way. That would be a violation here in Illinois. Gotta do the gut thing here, but like you said, anything but rabbits. I can do a deer no problem but the smell of rabbit guts makes me puke every time. :oops: Gary

He was retreving well last year but he's seems to have slacked off this year

Ditto. Just got back from a great day. We both limited but Reba was not retrieving today. A couple went over the creek and she found them, but didnt' bring them back.

My brother in law and I probably saw over 2 dozen roosters. It made for a short day. 8)

You're lucky to have so many pheasants to chase. Our heydey of pheasant hunting in Central Illinois is over for the time being. We've had 3 wet cool springs in a row and the birds just can't nest successfully. Add to that a huge coyote population that goes unchecked and a red-tailed hawk population that has really bounced back from the brink in the last 20 yrs. and you end up with no birds. :( I planted 3 acres of paririe grass and prairie flowers to give the pheasants and quail some relief from the yotes but it's too little too late. The rabbits seem to be taking advantage of the heavy prairie grass cover, though, and are doing well. Many of the bird hunters around here now just go to the pay-to-hunt, stocked farms. I can't do it. Shooting half-tame birds is repulsive to me so I just switched to bow hunting deer in '97. My model 12's are covered with dust. Gary

Slow today but had a fun time as my brother from Seattle and I took the kids out. They had fun shooting their BB guns.

photo5.jpg

Here in CT we're allowed 10 birds a year. I got my 10th Thanksgiving morning.

I've been wanting to roast one up for a change which is a 'pheasant plucking' experience.

Plucked.

P1012537.jpg

Stuffed with wifey's bacon-spinach rice pilaf and roasted.

P1012538.jpg

Made some soup from the carcuss, wings and legs. 3 hours simmering on low makes them tough legs tender! Threw in some of the pilaf at the end and MAN was this soup good.

P1012539.jpg

I'm drooling!.........Plucked a Canadian Goose to roast (4hrs in the smoker, 1hr in the oven)....."once"...DELICIOUS! But to much work..Won't be doing that again anytime soon. A lot easier to field dress them, and fillet the breast out.

You ain't kidding. And a goose is a BIG bird. I gotta try that next year.

Fred and I got 8 pheasant this year so far and 1 woodcock.

Fred and 2 roosters,

birds0012.jpg

Blackened pheasant on a roll,

cubscouthalloween2010002.jpg

Pheasant noodle soup,

cubscouthalloween2010001.jpg

Pheasant and long grain rice soup,

birds0022.jpg

The gun in the pics was my grandfathers now it's mine. It's a Stevens 311a, made exclusively for Sears and Roebuck. I've gotten pretty good with that ol' side by side and get most of them down the first shot. She does get heavy after 3 hours or so.

I have not been out for pheasents yet. :cry: :cry:

But I have had a great chuckar hunt on the Salmon River and a nice duck hunt with my 7 year old son (first time).

Shoot I'm jealous of all yall having a dog that will do something , other than sit on the couch next to me and beg for what I'm eating. :shock: She does get on point when I open a new Twinkie box though. :wink:

Blackened pheasant sandwich, a bowl of pheasant noodle soup and a twinkie for dessert! That sounds good!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back