One-Liner.... Now in FINISHED BIKES thread !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a one-liner just waiting for this part of your fork. :grin:
index.php

Write your own joke here. :21:

dog-sniffing-cartoon-dogs-butt-400x268.jpg
:rofl:

One unfortunate thing is, while wheeling it out for the pics, I noticed the bars are bent pretty bad. :( So I'm on the look out for some long back sweep cruiser bars if anybody has a lead....

I was admiring the ratty long sweeper bars you have on the mockup. There has got to be a way to bend them back.... I am sure some RRB-ers have a few good ideas on how to properly straighten them?

Silverking, first of all, I am guessing the PC might be Park City? Love that place! My boys and I got some skiing and boarding in there a couple winters ago.

I did get the bars straightened. I kind of did some 'cold forging' by using my bench vise and some extensions to force the bar in the direction I wanted it to go, and then left it for a few hours. After about 4 different placements / bends, it turned out well. So, I'm anxious to try them out once my lay back seatpost comes in!

Okay guys. Well, my day was interrupted by a nice lunch get together with family and then a 2 hr bike ride around one of our many beautiful lakes in the city.
But I did get in some time this morning, and again late afternoon and evening.

Here's what I came up with. I wanted something sleek, not heavy looking, rusty, fast looking, and that I could build with a trip (okay, maybe 2 or 3) to the hardware store. I achieved all of the above. Couple of drawbacks...I would like it to be forward about an inch to an inch and a half, and...it rubs the tire. :(
So, there is more work to do. But here's what I got so far....thoughts? Ideas?

IMG_20160521_192039.jpg
IMG_20160521_192106.jpg
IMG_20160521_192217.jpg
IMG_20160521_192217.jpg
IMG_20160521_192145.jpg

Looks like you should have gotten the Bertha Butt Marker.:rofl::banana::rofl::banana:

Did you try the springs on the bottom?
I had that thought....kind of an inverted suspension fork design. I mean, it's not like this is a conventional bike in any other way, right? Thanks for the input! I'm going to give that a try.

I noticed that the top portion is angled inwards. All you would have to do is lengthen the top plate more. Is the wheel centered? In one picture it looked to far to the left

Yeah, the top plate is all one piece, formed with the edges dropped. I widened the factory holes a bit for a larger bolt, but even that was too much for my drill. I don't really want to change the shape of the Butt Marker bracket. If I could get two new holes drilled farther out to the edge (there's room) it would clear the present wheel / tire set up.

My photo was taken at a slight angle which makes the wheel look off center.

Tanks TRM for the motivation! The spring hast sprung....to a new locale!
I picked the spring location to align with the largest part of the curve of the stock fork....looking for balance.... I need another shaft collar to place on top of the spring, but I rather like it....:happy:

IMG_20160522_074935.jpg
IMG_20160522_074908.jpg

Fun day at the Minnesota Vintage Bike Swap at Pioneer Cyclery in Blaine, MN. Familiar faces from last year's swap (my first ever) made it a very welcoming event. I brought three rat bikes with me, Shelby Flyer Woody was entered in the vintage bike show.....let's play Sesame Street...which one of these is not like the other....

:21:
Unfortunately, no prizes for 'most unique' @MazdaFlyer !

Ran into @cthomps and @barnbikes there, nice chats with both gents. Chad brought some cool entries in the bike show, and John has some outstanding chain rings....custom made by him! Fun day with the rusty crowd...

IMG_20160522_115159.jpg
IMG_20160522_092440.jpg
IMG_20160522_091907.jpg

Got 5 hrs of work in at the music store, then came home and finished off the fork.....love coming home to this. Oh, and my wife too...:bigsmile:

IMG_20160522_184117.jpg

IMG_20160522_193646.jpg

All I need is that lay back post from Chad....guess I should have ordered it from 'fastriderz' instead....hahaha! Just kidding!

This fork is from that brief time period where they produced the 'inverted spring suspension' fork. It was later followed by Maverick forks.....;)

IMG_20160522_193729.jpg

Almost forgot to mention...picked up this prewar 'nutbuster'(?) stem at today's swap and now my old ratty swept back bars fit perfectly!

IMG_20160522_193711.jpg

Rat on!

Attachments

• IMG_20160522_115159.jpg
    IMG_20160522_115159.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 178
I had no idea there was a bicycle show in that place. Jeez I'm a stone lob away from blaine...:(

I do like the reversed springs on the springer. Looks more like a motorcycle front end then anything else!:113:

Back