Old Simplex

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saturday I hit the C.A.T. http://www.catoregon.org looking for a few parts and stumbled across a bike that was very out of place. It was old, easily 50 years older than everything around it. I glanced at it and realized it was in pretty sorry shape and decided to pass. Of course I started regretting it a few hours later so I went back today to pick it up, not even sure of what it was. The guy behind the counter said "That thing? Have you actually looked at it?" I probably paid too much at $20 but they are a non-profit organization and at that price it will look good on my garage wall.

Turns out it is an old simplex. From what I can tell pre-WW2. Haven't dug too deep. The rod brakes are AWOL as is the dutch chainguard/oiling system.

simplex01.jpg

simplex02.jpg

simplex03.jpg

What a crusty pile o'crap! but I see some serious potential in there. I love the rod brake wheels and the frame is the perfect size for me.

The ivy in the spokes is great. I have a feeling that someone bought and renovated a house, found it buried in the yard and donated it.

simplex04.jpg

Now to decide. Ratty dutch bike or classier more polished guv'nor style?

Cool score, I'd say the headbadge would fetch $20 so you did okay. Just needs a little oil and someone to tinker on it. I'd ride it as it is, or go steampunk with it.

Back