Old School Sidecar (Now Trailer) build for Western Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Old School Bicycle Sidecar Build for 1950 Western Flyer

A little brass here and a little brass there....some red leather padding around the passenger openings...and this thing screams "Steampunk"!!! Nice...now you've got me thinking hmmmmmm, trailer....some luan, some varnish.....

Looks really good!

I do think the trailer tires would be better in white.

Also some fenders with some shields to keep the kid's
fingers safe would be good idea. Pontoon fenders
would look killer anyway.

I actually think fenders would detract from it.
Maybe wheel covers to protect the little ones digits.

Every time I've been approached by a parent to build a sidecar, they always eventually choose the trailer instead. Sidecars get stuck in traffic, and the trailer gives you on-demand cargo capacity while still being able to fit through a doorway. Easier to park too.

For future reference here is the proper sidecar layout:
sidecar.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys! I checked the rose joint before using it for a tow hitch and gives me more than enough 'pivot' to lean the bike right over. I will be installing fenders with skirts on the inside to keep the kids away from the spokes.

My neighbour is a motor trimmer so I was thinking I'd ask him to trim the seats for me to match the leather saddle on the bike.

The best thing about it being a trailer instead is that I can easily take the bike for a spin without it!

Cheers,

Dave

No excuse not to take the baby with you :D better not let the wife see this :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back