old cantilever frame, w/ serial number

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like you're on to something with the Sears; there is mention of Murray built Sears bike numbers all starting with 502. hopefully someone can decode the rest of the serial and we can come up with a model and closer guess on the year. thanks!!

thanks! yep, that's what i was looking at. they mention:

"..Sears bikes had a 502 and Gambles bikes had a WG or a WG and a single digit. Sears bikes then had a 2 - 5 digit number afterwards that stood as the model number and was actually used in there catalogs as the part number"

but i can't seem to get anywhere with the six digit number after 502 on my frame.

I did wonder about the Komet hub too, if that would be an indicator:

anyways, i'm leaving the frame as-is, R&R'ing the wheels, fresh white walls, and the ape hangers show as being out for delivery today. :rockout:

Well I did a bit of digging...
Couldn't find a year but did come to the conclusion that this was most likely a generic Sears badged bike with no real name.
They has a fair number of bikes they sold that had nothing other than decals/badges that said Sears.
Also found this related to your model number
e533f193f8ed18bc6fa20a5843de37d3.jpg

Tank was probably optional or just went missing. Is say good chance it went missing if there's no signs it had a head badge.

The chain guard probably just said sears but if it did have a tank that may have said a model but at this point I'd say it is a sears rat

And another fun note that rack in the diagram is the same that my 66 Jetfire had.

Last edited:
46201 is the Sears catalog #. It corresponds to a 1965 "Fully Equipped Midweight", and had a tank and rear rack. I'm fairly sure it was offered for a few years after as well. -Adam

... I'd say it is a sears rat....

Personally, i'd be more inclined to call it a "Murray rat".... I think builders hold a priority over any badge or retailer....

46201 is the Sears catalog #. It corresponds to a 1965 "Fully Equipped Midweight", and had a tank and rear rack. I'm fairly sure it was offered for a few years after as well. -Adam

Good info right there.... Where'd you get it from? I'm just curious.

that's what we're looking for! thanks guys.

bars showed up last night and i tossed them on to take it for a quick ride.... so tall, so obnoxious, so much fun.

Personally, i'd be more inclined to call it a "Murray rat".... I think builders hold a priority over any badge or retailer....
Good info right there.... Where'd you get it from? I'm just curious.
A book called "Collectible Elgin-J.C. Hggins-Hawthorn Bicycles" by James Hurd. Basically xerox'd catalog pages from 1933-65ish. -Adam

Back