Oh No! Another Pixie Racer!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yes indeed, Pixies are springing up everywhere.

Here's the starting point (as already seen here http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewto ... c&start=15):

startingpointnf5.png

The frame after a de-decalification and some cleaning:

cleanframeve6.png

I need at least one bike with the classic red rims & whitewalls combo:

littleweewhitewallee3.png

The front forks after some rattle-can action:

frontwheelok0.png

And finally, the build up so far:

inprogress1gx5.png

I'd hoped to have the rear wheel done by now, but there was some sort of incompatibility with the primer and the existing topcoat. I now have a wheel with a nice even coat of primer-coloured gunk that will not dry. looks like a "Do-Over" for the rear wheel. Doh.

These little bikes sure are big fun :D

-Mp

nice!

what size apes did you use? did you extend the seat post?

looks awesome...

what is the blue bike in the background?

oct

Looks traditional rat so far. The apes are great addition.

Has anybody ever thought of lacing up a 3 or 4 speed hub to a pixie. To attain a crazy top speed.

The apes are 19 inchers, "borrowed" from my on-again, off-again Stingray project and the seatpost is taken from my Redline BMX. The blue bike is a stretch limo from Aztlan. It's no Dyno, but the the quality is better than what you would expect for the price. The black bike on the right is a '61 Schwinn Jaguar. This is the best photo I have of it right now:

bloolimoxa5.png

I hope to get some better photos when the weather improves (it's snowing here tonight - again!). A large bike in a small basement isn't a great combo for getting good photos. BTW - those black spots on the floor? It's the paint that fell off my '48 Schwinn straightbar :shock:

cman - funny you should mention the 3spd hub thing. I did think about it but my 16" rims are 20 spoke and the 3spd I have is 36 spoke.

-Mp

Hooch said:
if you had caliper brakes you could probably use a 3speed from an english bike like a raliegh they have 40spoke hubs.... skip a hole :)

Stop doing that Hooch! Caliper brakes will in fact fit the frame.

I'm not listening LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Do I dare go to the thrift store tomorrow?

-Mp

hehehe it will creep into your dreams..... how cool would that be? man 3 speeds I bet it would fly! heheheh
hey i might have one not a good sturmey but a shimano you pay for shipping and I will give it to you just to see it happen! hahaha

Hooch said:
but..... if the wheels are painted the brakes will destroy it especially trying to stop an adults weight :(

True, but of course one would need to have a caliper brake to start with:

caliperzd2.jpg

I'll stick with just the coaster though for that very reason.

Thanks for the compliments & I've sent you an email about the hub :mrgreen:

-Mp

Brakes, who needs brakes on a pixie?...Kelly

nogoodnic42 said:
Brakes, who needs brakes on a pixie?...Kelly

Yeah its not like ur gonna get over 15 or 20
haha

Brakes are for people who stop. In the highly competitve field of Pixie racing your opponents and their bikes should be used for both braking and traction situations! If there are no opponents to use, then you must bein first place, so why do you need brakes? :p

***KING of Pixies***

One sweet Pixie :!:

but then again who wants to be the king of Pixies? :wink:

99% there! The chain needs a little more soak time before going on, and then a few final adjustments will have it all set.

99prcntav2.png

Apologies for the poor photo, I'll get some better shots outdoors when the bike is 100% finished.

xddorox - I'll check out the surplus section at Princess Auto, there's bound to be a cool headlight for this bike there :mrgreen:

How's Sgt Del progressing? Any new photos for us yet? :D

-Mp

Back