Offset lace query

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a disc brake hub that I am currently looking to lace to a wider wheel. Due to the configuration of the hub body, a 12mm offset would be needed to center the wheel. I have built several wheels at this point, but never done an offset lace up as of yet. So I was curious if a 12mm offset is even viable? I am looking forward to hearing the experiences?opinions of other more experienced wheel smiths here! :?

Come on fellas, the crazy stuff all of you dudes try and nothing? Really? Help a brotha out here! :mrgreen:

i think maybe we don't understand the op?

bicycle hub, bicycle rim, why should it not work?

the spokes all go near the centerline so the outside width of the rim doesn't seem to figure into it.

muti speed rear wheels have always been dished ("offset"?) quite a bit. for example, the older 8s dura ace rear wheel on my road bike is 30mm from the locknut to the non drive side hub flange and 50mm from the locknut to the drive side hub flange. if the difference is what you're referring to then obviously 12mm is not a problem.

dishing is no big deal- just centering the rim between the locknuts, all the spokes on one side will just be tightened more to do this.

but as i said, i may not understand the op... :D

Fair enough,it does look as though my explanation may have been a bit sketchy. Front hub, 100mm over the locknuts, the casting that the rotor bolts to is 12mm. therefore if the wheel, if "straight" laced , will be offset 12mm to one side. This would leave the wheel off center in the triple tree type fork. It would seem as though an offset lace could cure this problem. I have done all my spoke calculations as if I were going to do a straight lace, but now I am wondering how one would go about "tweaking" the spoke lengths to do an offset lace in the 12mm perameters I seek? Is it merely as simple as adding 12mm to one side and subtracting 12mm from the opposite side? Or is there a lot more to this than my feeble mind is able to grasp? :?

Slick Rick said:
Fair enough,it does look as though my explanation may have been a bit sketchy. Front hub, 100mm over the locknuts, the casting that the rotor bolts to is 12mm. therefore if the wheel, if "straight" laced , will be offset 12mm to one side. This would leave the wheel off center in the triple tree type fork. It would seem as though an offset lace could cure this problem. I have done all my spoke calculations as if I were going to do a straight lace, but now I am wondering how one would go about "tweaking" the spoke lengths to do an offset lace in the 12mm perameters I seek? Is it merely as simple as adding 12mm to one side and subtracting 12mm from the opposite side? Or is there a lot more to this than my feeble mind is able to grasp? :?

i think there is actually LESS to this than your feeble mind is able to grasp... :mrgreen:

assuming by 'offset' you are referring to what is commonly called 'dish'...

the spoke length difference won't be nearly that dramatic. using a multi speed rear wheel as an example again, the spoke length difference is typically 1 or 2mm. as was discussed in a thread a couple weeks ago, using different spoke lengths doesn't actually 'accomplish' the dish, it just makes building the wheel more convenient. the spoke length isn't 'fixed'- a spoke and nipple is just a nut and bolt with several mm of latitude. :wink:

Park WAG-4 and two diierent sized spokes all on their way as I type! Learned how to measure and calculate for this app. And surprisingly, the difference on the spoke length was only a few milimeters! Dishing wheels will be a new skill I can add to my wheel building shortly ( I hope!). :mrgreen: Later & PEACE!!!!!

Back