OCC Schwinn Stingray (rider with new brake)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, this was a complete impulse buy around 4/5 years ago, when i had more money than sense.
stingray.jpg

Bought it from a shop in london who shipped in the very first batch of these from the states, cost £200 inc shipping.

After a while i got bored with it, so swapped it for a losi lst2 nitro rc car, then a year later i sold the car.

In may 2010 i decided to buy another, a mate at work happened to be selling one.
After some haggling i bought it, when i got it home and stripped it down, to my surprise, it turned out to be my old stingray (still had my address card in bb shell).

Now its been modded to make it easier for me to ride, bigger bars, chopper sear and sissy bar, better brakes.

p4pb6285767.jpg

p4pb6285772.jpg

p4pb6285769.jpg

Re: Schwinn Stingray modding time

this will be getting a full makeover over the next few weeks.

got a mad idea after reading about the surley pugsleys.

got on ebay, bought another rear wheel of a stingray (20x4.25),
when that arrives i'll make up some new yokes for the forks so i can widen them and mount the other rear on the front.

soon it will be a stingray fatbike.

Re: OCC Schwinn Stingray modding time

Love the idea on this one! Watch for pedal clearance though mate, the 20" front tire will drop the height of the bottom bracket a bit.

Also, if you remove the sprocket from the new front wheel, you can thread the brake from a scooter on for front brakes!

$(KGrHqR,!lIE6GRqJW9pBOklwUoH+!~~60_12.JPG

Keep us posted on your progress, got a little OCC-based project of my one brewing in the lab.

P.S. Thanks for the idea of putting a business card (or something else) in the BB for identification.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Man that's sweet that the scooter brake will fit. I have an extra scooter brake, and two of those wheels.

I will definitely be following this build. It is very cool to see an OCC re-use build across the pond. I love the chopper seat. It reminds me of the photo that Jake has on RRB of his banana/sissy bar OCC. I know of one other 4" front and back chopper on here somewhere as well. And then there is yoothgeye's Sand Rover and my Fugsley, but they are totally different from choppers. I didn't realize that OCC's came with a different tire than the Big Boa. I am looking forward to seeing how yours turns out!!!

thanks guys.

i have a couple of screw on mounts for a rotor for the front as i have a spare hydralic disc brake i'll use.

as for pedal clearance, i'll see what its like when the other wheel arrives, if its iffy i'll make new longer fork legs to lift the front up.

that bannana seat/sissy bar were a bargain, got them off a chopper that had been dumped in a forrest near me, the bars came from a local auto-jumble.

the tyres came off a stingray copy, that had a front disc brake and cow horm bars, i bought it just for the disc brake and mounts, wheels/tyres and mudguards, was cheaper than getting the bits separately.

Re: OCC Schwinn Stingray (brake-y bits)

how do the srew on adapter for disc work?... do you think i can use them to fit disc to the front (is a rear rim) rim of my rusty build?

thanks

Love the design work you've got planned, cudos for attempting to fabricate your own yokes.

Before you jump into it with both feet any thoughts of trying a motorcycle recycling yard for units with enough space? Or even eBay?
Here's a set off of a Yamaha on eBay US.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/69-70-YAMAH...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item45fdb647d5

$(KGrHqZ,!lIE6GeLULN!BOlLyi)iBQ~~60_12.JPG

Since you're going to have to weld the steer tube to a 'new' set of yokes anyway, you may be able to slide the existing steertube and bearing race over the motorcycle's tube.

Just thinking out loud......

Cheers,
Dr. T

got the new rear wheel fitted and mounted the other on front.

the band brake arrived yesterday and after a few mods it fits the wheel/forks spot on, just need to make a bracket to hold the housing/cabled on the fork leg.

Due to issues with my internet i'm stuck with updating from my phone, so there won't be any photo updates till its been sorted.

Back