OCC rear wheel spoke question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning a build (see the RRBBO7 Hype thread for info) and it possibly involves an OCC 20x4 rear wheel. I used to have one, sold it to a member here years ago cause I didn't need it... :oops:

Can anybody tell me how far apart the spoke holes on this rim are? i.e. the 36 holes aren't in line, they're staggered. I need to know the distance between them for uh, "research" purposes. :) The rim should be 100mm wide, I'm guessing from pictures the spoke holes are about 40mm apart? Don't know for sure. Looks like maybe 33mm from teh edge to the left spokes, 33mm from left to right spokes, and another 33mm to the other edge?

I'm talking the measurement from side-to-side, like hub flange to hub flange. I'm hoping if the holes are far enough apart, I can double drill them and lace the whole wheel offset to one side. I just need to know how far offset it is so I can figure out what kind of hub will work.

I'll take some measurements for you tonight.

If he doesn't get it for you, I got a wheel/tire laying beside my tool bench, the only problem is I've lost my metric ruler for the past few years.

yoothgeye said:
If he doesn't get it for you, I got a wheel/tire laying beside my tool bench, the only problem is I've lost my metric ruler for the past few years.

I know! I had a small one, my kids got a hold of it, and...

I'm getting another one soon. :)

Harbor Freight has a cool and cheap plastic caliper ruler that measures both inside and outside diameter. That's what I have.

kingfish254 said:
Harbor Freight has a cool and cheap plastic caliper ruler that measures both inside and outside diameter. That's what I have.

I got a metal digital caliper off of Amazon that's pretty nice, I think it was around $10-$15. I forgot about that... it's probably lost too, though it's still in it's case.

Here are the measurements you asked for.
420 mm right to left (parallel to axle)
650 mm front to back (parallel to frame)

kingfish254 said:
Not quite sure I explained my question... I'm not worried about the size of the rim. Most rims have all the spokes centered in the rim. If you take the tire off, and look at the spoke nipples, on most wheels they are all in the middle. On the occ, as you spin the wheel, the spokes alternate to the left and right... This is called offset spoke bed. The left side spokes are left of center on the rim, and the right spokes are right of center.

I need to know how far the spoke holes/nipples are from the center of the rim, where the tube stem hole is.

Make sense?

FunkyStickman said:
kingfish254 said:
Not quite sure I explained my question... I'm not worried about the size of the rim. Most rims have all the spokes centered in the rim. If you take the tire off, and look at the spoke nipples, on most wheels they are all in the middle. On the occ, as you spin the wheel, the spokes alternate to the left and right... This is called offset spoke bed. The left side spokes are left of center on the rim, and the right spokes are right of center.

I need to know how far the spoke holes/nipples are from the center of the rim, where the tube stem hole is.

Make sense?

Totally understand and I think my fuzzy metric math and lack of description threw you off. The correct measurements are
42 mm right to left (parallel to axle between the lines of spokes)
65 mm front to back (parallel to frame between adjacent spokes on same side of the wheel)

So to answer your actual question the spokes are lined up 21mm off centerline on each side.

kingfish254 said:
Totally understand and I think my fuzzy metric math and lack of description threw you off. The correct measurements are
42 mm right to left (parallel to axle between the lines of spokes)
65 mm front to back (parallel to frame between adjacent spokes on same side of the wheel)

So to answer your actual question the spokes are lined up 21mm off centerline on each side.

Beautiful! Thank you very much, I originally guessed 40mm, and I was close! Now I will do some number crunching, and see what I can come up with for building a hub-centered steering front wheel without a custom hub...

Oh, and I found my metric tape! Yay!

What this means, is I can take a Sturmey trike drum hub, lace it to the right-side-only spoke holes of an OCC rim (after drilling the missing ones) and the hub's axle will start about 40mm from the hub's center, which puts the pivot point right in line with where the left spoke holes are.... if I dished it, the inside spokes would be straight and the outside ones would be at a horrible angle...

Dang. Looks like the Sturmey hub flanges are too wide to really do it right. The steering pivot would be inside the wheel, but 21mm off center.

Hmmm..... maybe if I dished it just a little, it would be close enough to not notice when riding. You'd get a very little steer scrub, but as long as the linkages were tight, it should work... I can get it within 10mm...

hmmmm. Thanks guys! Got a lot to chew on now.

I can hear the cogs in your brain churning from here. You better put a little Sturmey gear oil in there.

I really want to see what comes of this!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!:

Choppers US sells a coasster hub (wide) for this wheel for around 30 samolians. Best part? You can use the same 185mm spokes on the exhisting freewheel hub to lace the new coaster! Done it a feww times! :wink:

Slick Rick said:
Choppers US sells a coasster hub (wide) for this wheel for around 30 samolians. Best part? You can use the same 185mm spokes on the exhisting freewheel hub to lace the new coaster! Done it a feww times! :wink:

I bought one of those for the rear of my last chopper. For this, though, I've got something much more wicked planned!

kingfish254 said:
I can hear the cogs in your brain churning from here. You better put a little Sturmey gear oil in there.

I really want to see what comes of this!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!:

Even if I don't get to build a cargo bike like I want, I've got a few other tricks up my sleeve! :) Can't spill the beans just yet.

Back