OCC Army Stingray (Father/Son build)--FINISHED!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was browsing the Tampa Craigslist this morning, and I stumbled on a Schwinn OCC Stingray for $15, 10 miles from my house. Quick van ride later and I have a fully functional chopper bike for my son, with reflectors and everything. It's covered in surface rust, so it's perfect for a project for him and I to do together. He's wanted a bike like this, and has been interested in my projects...win win! He's already debating satin black vs. Army olive drab vs. glow-in-the-dark paint vs. leaving it rusty.

Pictures to follow later.

Re: Father/Son OCC Stingray...Now with Pics!

Tell him to have fun with it. There are a lot of examples of OCCs as well as the uses of OCC parts here on RRB.
I am sure that you will have fun helping him along too.

Hope your son has some fun on it before the work starts :)

So I've discovered that the back hub on the chopper actually IS a freewheel hub! :lol: It was rusted solid enough that it behaved like a fixie, until I tried to pedal backward. So I oiled the heck out of the back sprocket and hub, and it now coasts nicely!

And...I think we've settled on a military theme for it. I've got a couple of ammo cans I'm going to donate as saddlebags, and we'll flat-black the chrome after we de-rust it. I think the only *part* it's going to need is handgrips, as they're worn through. Everything else is there and can be cleaned up.

Concept picture:

Army Stingray Concept by sunliner500, on Flickr

cool concept
Machine gun barrels up front would be cool :idea:

kingfish254 said:
cool concept
Machine gun barrels up front would be cool :idea:

Thanks! Oooo...those fork tubes would work as gun barrels... 8)

And, my son found a surplus hand grenade (minus explosives, of course) that he wants to add somewhere.

Don't ask why I have ammo cans and surplus grenades in the house... :roll:

FATHER AND SON PROJECT. GREAT!! ONE OF MY FAVORITE BIKES TOO. SO CRANK UP SOME TUNES AND GTB!! PEACE

Thanks, Luke, Jake and 1Horse!

I'm not really sure what to do with the grenade. (that's what SHE said?? :mrgreen: ) But my son wants it in there somewhere.

I know we got a late start in this, but we're really not doing a whole lot besides cleaning up and painting so we should be able to get done in 2 months.

noodlenoggin said:
Thanks, Luke, Jake and 1Horse!

I'm not really sure what to do with the grenade. (that's what SHE said?? :mrgreen: ) But my son wants it in there somewhere.

I know we got a late start in this, but we're really not doing a whole lot besides cleaning up and painting so we should be able to get done in 2 months.
convert to a 3 speed rear hub and turn the grenade into the shifter. For hand grips maybe some cheap handgun grips converted with single finger brakes to give it a trigger look.

Re: OCC Army Stingray (Father/Son build)

Kinda boring part of the build. Rusty parts are soaking in vinegar.

DSC02293 by sunliner500, on Flickr

Yes, that nasty black liquid started as white vinegar. I turned the bars around tonight, so the second 1/2 is soaking now. The vinegar is actually eating the chrome off one of the cranks, which is fine, because it's slated to get painted anyway.

DSC02294 by sunliner500, on Flickr

And there's the paint. Going with satin finish so we get some sheen on it, but military themed. Not much else going on. After the current batch of parts is done soaking, I'll need to strain the bits outta the vinegar, and start some small cups with the nuts'n bolts and stuff.

nice build, its awesome that your son is involved!!!

Troy

jats said:
nice build, its awesome that your son is involved!!!

Troy

Thanks! He's chomping at the bit to start spraying paint around. Also worried that dad won't remember how to put all the pieces back together.

Tell him not to jump in the paint too soon. Make sure all of your gadgets and doodads and wheels and fenders and other added stuff fit first with a mock up. THEN break it back down for paint. Seen too many builds jump into paint too soon only to find out things don't fit together and paint has to be redone.

+1 on that advice...

It's kinda like the old 'measure twice, cut once' adage.

Good luck with this build, digging the father/son thing on it.

Cheers,
Dr. T

No worries, Doc and Kingfish. Most of everything is going back the way it came off, AND, you're absolutely right.

Besides...it's an OCC bike. I watched enough of that show when it was on to know that Pauly Jr. ALWAYS does a mockup before paint! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back