now mine, Shelby Flyer + Elgin lady, pics pg 2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Now Mine, Shelby Flyer, pics soon

The headlight on the Shelby is worth a mint. Those are hard to come by. Take it from me, I've been looking for one for this bike...
P6270011.jpg

Re: Now Mine, Shelby Flyer, pics soon

So here are the pics from my trip to Al's house. He was a nice retired teacher who collects vintage bikes and phonographs.
He has one of his former students helping him thin out his collection. He had a lot of cool stuff there.

Anyway, here is what I got for my girl, I need ID help:
3503280122_4432939000_b.jpg

Al said it was an Elgin, but someone suggested that may be incorrect. Any clue?
more detailed pics at the bottom of this post.

My Shelby is in the background of this shot of the Flying Cloud,
(for which another forum member has already worked out a deal)
3503282980_ecb9f74361_b.jpg

more detailed pics of my Shelby Flyer at the bottom of this post.

Now here are the bikes I DIDN'T get, but I took pictures of anyway,
Al had some really cool stuff.

3503288430_da3735216e_b.jpg

Schwinn and Royal Flyer

3503293540_822e97dc21_b.jpg

cool springer on this lady

3502486805_2e395be7ac_b.jpg

also a cool springer on this Rollfast lady

Al was showing me the depths of his garage, and I was like, "What's that red and black one back in that corner?"
3502495465_c9d6a7f9dc_b.jpg

I WILL be going back for this Hawthorne Flyer.

3502497483_6d237e375a_b.jpg

Oh yes, it will be mine...

3502501387_6e1dddcba5_b.jpg

This Firestone lady was minty.

3503315286_b330c6830c_b.jpg

He also had this lady from 1895. Check out the wood fenders and chainguard.

3502511505_9ff2e1913d_b.jpg

a real oldie and a unique lady, tucked between antique phonographs, of which the guy had a roomful.

3502541571_f1960da0a8.jpg

He played a few of his phonographs for us, here is a video with audio:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeymac/3502565167/

ANYWAY,

Here are pics of my new acquisitions, after getting them back to CT (both crammed between trunk and backseat of the rental car):
3511707113_a883282f27_b.jpg

3512514196_e30aa22766_b.jpg

Unfortunately, those who suggested that it might have BFD were correct...
3512513104_4de2a184d3_b.jpg

Might need some help with this. But he did take a little off the price because of it.

3512513500_32db5eb9c3_b.jpg

partial serial: F 2 3 - - 4

3511704501_4c2171a54f_b.jpg

Skiptooth chain is intact, New Departure hubs still spin and stop smoothly (but could probably stilll use some fresh grease)

3511703937_a7df6ec1f4_b.jpg

paint looks convincing from a distance...
but the Al had done some touch-ups on it a long time ago. Decent job, though.

And here is the mystery lady:
3512511102_1c81555fb3_b.jpg

3512510650_2096808feb_b.jpg

missing headbadge

3512510314_115f23bda4_b.jpg

bottom bracket and sprocket

3512509976_9a95ccda00_b.jpg

air-cooled hubs

3512509666_8f4556c92d_b.jpg

Lady's got a nice rear end ;)

Any ID help for the lady would be appreciated, and advice for my bad case of BFD...
Thanks!

Re: now mine, Shelby Flyer + Mystery lady, pics pg 2

really nice pair of bikes there joey! :mrgreen: wish i had better luck at finding complete bikes!

ratina said:
That shelby is sweet, hopefully you can fix the fork.

The fender braces look like Higgins on the girls, but Im no expert
me neither, but the chain gurad and the starry fork and the braces remind me of a higgins too... but I didn't see any of the lugged framework they tend to have... maybe elgin? which was sears brand before higgins right?

deorman said:
It might be mixed parts or something, but the framework looks Columbia to me.

I think your right, the single bar on the rear end behind the seat post and the area by the kickstand, aren't those Columbia or Monark traits? I have a 20" just like that but its a boys.

The green mystery lady bike is definitely an Elgin, thoguh it is one of those that puzzles me in that it seems to have parts form both a Murray and a Columbia. The frame is definitely Columbia made with the signature dropouts and rear triangle (single bar protruding from seat post tube)... and yet, the rear reflector and fender braces as well as the carrier are the same as used on many Murray made Late Elgins or Early JCH's. The skirts and guard are the same as I purchased from a very early Murray made JCH ladies bike. Maybe Sears mixed and matched...? I would say the bike was made between '41 and '46.

That rear hub is an Elgin air-cooled with Amalite (sp?) grease fitting. Don't know about the rest. Gary

I forgot to mention that some bike shops have a fork bending machine of sorts that can fix lightly or moderately bent forks. From what I've hear, it grabs the bottom bracket while the fork is mounted to a clasp ahead and slowly pulls them apart. A guy I knew told me a much more primitive method to straighten forks that worked when he was a kid. He said he would the the bent fork and headset, mount it to a large frame he didn't care about, mount a junker front wheel to the forks, get that wheel spinning backwards (in relation to the way it rolls as you ride normally) at a pretty good speed, and then he would hit the wheel against a large sized tree trunk while holding the frame under his arm. I've never tried it, but he was very knowledgeable and said one or two tries worked really well to straighten any bent fork.

Westfield (Columbia) built bikes for Sears (Elgin) so the bike is I believe an Elgin. Sears was like any other catalog company, they had their products built by whoever could meet their specs for the lowest price. Over the years, Elgins and later, JC Higgins bikes were built by a number of different manufacturers.

PS - There will be a quiz later. LOL!!

It may be a Mercury! They were made by Higgins/Sears etc.

Mah Shelby Flyer havin' brotha!!
SUNP0016-1.jpg
SUNP0017-1.jpg
Coolness! ..I agree w/unchained and Crassly about the Elgin. That long headtube pegs it as an earlier bike. I don't know about that sprocket, looks Dayton, but you never know what the factory had lying around. I try not to say "that part is wrong", as sometimes the evidence says it's right. ~Adam

oh man, how did you leave without that Hawthorne Flyer?? I would have had to have that thing.

Back